As I am sitting here in Berea, I sometimes feel a little disillusioned about my life and the pathway on which I've travelled this last year. I certainly didn't think I'd leave school counseling. Or move to Kentucky. Or stay in Kentucky--eastern KY at that. And I have several friends who I know are jealous of the fact that I was able to stay in this place that is so special to volunteers that call it home for a year or so. You really can't understand the attachment to the people, place, and community of living as a CAP volunteer unless you have lived it. And that was such a unique experience that can never be duplicated. That being said, when I hear former volunteers reminisce and wish they could come back to this place, I want to tell them how different it is when you move out of the volunteer house and back into the real world. I want to warn them not to assume that this place that captured their heart as a volunteer will hold the same magic when they're living in a small town without the close-knit community of the volunteer house to share it with. That finding new things to do in this world of eastern Kentucky that is so different from the worlds we come from will not hold the same wonder it did when you're around it all the time. That it just becomes commonplace and you can become a little disheartened by the negative cycles of poverty. That work is work and volunteering is a little different and has a lot less pressure.
But, then, as I think these thoughts, I also realize that working for CAP really is a great place to be, mainly because of the people with whom I work. They...
-value serving others above all else, and are completely unselfish.
-share their faith daily, usually without words.
-value real relationships, not just acquaintances.
-have given up jobs in more "successful" areas, where they could make alot more money, to work here.
-value ecumenical conversations, relationships, and experiences.
-look for ways to make CAP better, but not for the prestige of others knowing about this organization, but solely so our participants can be better served.
-not only serve others through their work at CAP, but are active in service in their communities and churches.
-see the value of sharing a meal together and do it often.
-value the work, ideas, and lifestyle of volunteers. CAP treats its volunteers well.
-pray.
I spent the night in one of volunteer houses this week. I didn't get alot of sleep. I made unhealthy choices about what I ate (there were all these desserts and snacks around). And I didn't get alot of done that night. You know why? Because I chose to spend that night with the other volunteers. I sat on the couch and just talked. That's it. And I realized that the 2 years that I spent doing that were the best of my life. Because that's what matters in life. But the next day, as I was around the leaders of CAP and observed as employees worked to create a welcoming atmosphere for new volunteers being commissioned, I realized what an amazing place this is. Because of the reasons above and the Christian environment in which I work, I am very lucky. Or as a local would say, "I'm blessed."
I hope some of it rubs off on me!
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment