CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

February 21, 2011

Happy Presidents' Day!

So, today is another national holiday-Presidents’ Day. I’m ashamed to say, I’m not really sure what we’re to celebrate on this day—the memory of our founding Presidents? Patriotism and freedom? Democracy? An excuse to go shopping for the sales?


For whatever reason you’re celebrating (or not), it made me realize I’ve paused a few times in recent months to consider current events and politics. It seems that I’m not the only one doing this, as young people across the world are beginning to let their voice be heard and get a little more involved in the democratic process…or the lack of one. In the past, politics and any interest in our government were things I had very little interest. I’ve always voted and sought to be an informed voter, but outside of that, there are very few issues that have affected me enough to follow the current events or voting records of my elected officials. I think, like so many people, I didn’t feel many issues directly affected me and until they did, I didn’t pay it much attention. And I didn’t want to pick sides, to decide that one is right, and the other is wrong.

But, when I went to register to vote last fall because of my change in residence, I was floored when I was told that I had to declare a party or I wouldn’t be able to vote in the primaries in my state. What?! I was forced to make a decision and take a side…something I hate to do when it comes to politics. (I heard this law has recently been appealed, however. I hope so!) Perhaps it’s because I’ve often been surrounded by friends who felt strongly about an issue, or strongly about a party…but often I had another friend who was just as passionate…but in the opposite direction. And so I always struggle…to learn about the issues in a non-partisan way and more importantly to decide what I think about it, to know who my officials are and what they are voting on, to read/watch/listen to current events and news even when I’m not interested, and to know when to stand up for an issue. I have to say, many other things in my life take precedence over politics and current events…many. And I’m ok with that. But, also, today I’m thankful for the people in my life who care about these issues, are passionate about them…because they inspire me to care a little more too.

0 comments: