Over the last month, I have done quite a bit of traveling...on the road, in the air, alone, and with others. As luck would have it, I also decided not to listen to pop music on the radio during the season of Lent. I felt like I was just listening to music that I didn't really like or definitely need, but was just part of my habit when I get in the car. Instead, I have been listening to NPR, CD's, and audio books--or having conversations with those with whom I'm traveling. I have to say it's been very freeing to do this...there so many better things I can do with the time in my car...like pray or think...than listen mindlessly to "radio music" (mindlessly being the key word).
Though I didn't grow up in and have never consistently attended a liturgical-type church that focused on Lent and Holy Week, I have always felt the importance of Easter as the most important holiday and the one which we, as Christians, should hold in highest regard....since it truly separates us from other religions. Even with Easter egg hunts, parties, and dresses, I love that Christian churches around the world unify around the focus on the cross and its Savior at this time of the year. As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate what the season of Lent and Holy Week offer as a time to really focus on spiritual matters in a way that's different than any other time of the year. I love that regardless of worship style-liturgical, contemporary, traditional, seeker-sensitive, megachurch, or country church--all seem to find a way to truly celebrate on Easter.
When I returned from my trips this week, I realized how completely worn out I was from the time zones and travel and preparation. I knew I needed a little break. I decided to forgo other plans I had this weekend and rest. Center. Regroup. Clean. Pray. Return phone calls. Cook. Read. All those things that get me back on track. As we look forward to Good Friday and Easter Sunday, I hope you find rest, peace, and rejuvenation as well.
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
1 comments:
Are you going to forgo the fantasy suite? Ha. I kid.
Post a Comment