CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

July 10, 2011

Visit from the Parents

This last weekend my parents come from Tennessee to visit me. It also gives my dad a chance to visit some historic sites....which he loves. And gives me a chance to actually see some sites (ever noticed that when you actually live somewhere you lose sight of how unique it is and don't visit "touristy" places?). They got in on Friday and I cooked them dinner with the help of my roommate. I made this recipe, which turned out really well from one of my regular blogs, along with some summer veggies that I baked in the oven. And fresh strawberries! *Side note: LOVING visiting the farmers markets and roadside stands this summer!*  Then, on Saturday, we planned a busy day: we visited Fort Boonesborough and then went to Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill. Plus, we decided to hit up the Amish store as well. I LOVE going there, because you can get healthier, organic items much cheaper than at the grocery store, and in bulk, if you need. I don't often make the extra drive to go there, so I stocked up on snacks and oatmeal!

Our favorite part of the day was riding on the riverboat at Shaker Village. It was about an hour ride down the scenic Kentucky River and back. It was so relaxing and a beautiful summer day. I forget how amazing the landscape can be around here. Hopefully, I can re-visit sometime and hike some of the trails on the site.

Today, they worshiped with me at the church I attend. It is a different denomination than I grew up in and that they are a part of, so I was hoping they would enjoy the service, since I really appreciate so many things about this church. I've been searching for a permanent church to go to each week, and this one is very promising! I remember I was talking to a friend about her decision to become a member of a certain church, and what a big decision it is to choose one as an adult. As a child, it is so natural to go with your parents and feel that the church you grew up in is a part of your own tradition (which it definitely is)and comfort zone, but the decision to join one as an adult or continue with your family is more daunting and has been a long-thought-about decision for me (plus, I'm very picky!). I'm still praying about the decision to join and serve there and I hope you'll join me.

Hope you all enjoyed your Sunday, too!

0 comments: