CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October 11, 2011

Confessions

Confession: I have lots of great ideas and goals. In this, I'm a first-born through and through. But my follow-through is often lacking. I was talking to the youth minister at my church as I am beginning to volunteer in that area, and I told him I often over-commit myself. I try a new thing and intend on continuing with it, but then I just don't have time, legitimately. (As a side, I do know that in this time of singleness, I have alot more time for these things now, so for that I'm thankful!) So here are a few of my recent goals and what I'm doing to accomplish it...please keep me accountable!

-Begin learning Spanish. I have a great set of CD's for learning Spanish. But of course, I've only got through a few pages. I considered taking classes but don't have the money or time for this. But I found out the library offers free online learning through their website, which is awesome. I'll let you know how it goes. This one is going to be the most difficult to keep doing, because it's hard!!
*Oh, and to make me more inclined to learn another language, I recently decided to sponsor a child from Compassion who lives in a Spanish-speaking country! More on this later...

-Spending time with God each morning. I am NOT a morning person, but amazingly, I've been able to stick to it for the most part. Right now, it's important to just spend time with him, not set my goals too lofty and expect that I'll read 10 chapters every day or even read the Bible at all. I often do a SHORT devotional and scripture, or I spend most of the time in prayer or with my journal. My roommate leaves about 30-45 min earlier than I do, so my goal is to be mostly ready by the time she leaves, fix a cup of tea, and have 15-20 min when it's just me and God. I hope to do more, but right now, it works for me and I spend that time in what I need for that day. I also keep my car silent (except for the noisiness of my aging car) for my drive to work so I can think and/or pray.

-Volunteer. For someone who spent 2 full years doing this full time, this has been a hard one, actually. I think alot of people have good intentions, but finding the right fit and place that really needs your skills and talents can be challenging. I'm now committing to one night a week with the youth at church. I know I probably can't make it to all the "extra" outings, but on most weeks, I can schedule it so one night is possible.

- Exercise. I joined a gym, then I didn't go. I signed up for a 5K, but have only run one time since that--the race is this week! So, now I actually write in my planner what I'm going to do for exercise. Some days, there's no way to fit it in....so I do a 10 min video at work in my office. Walk a little extra. Indoor cycling is my absolute fav, so I definitely fit this is one or two nights a week. I would love to add yoga, so if you know of a good program I could get on DVD, let me know!

-Piano. I would love to get back to playing the piano, so I could at least sit down and play through some hymns. I had been going to the local college and using their pianos, but haven't made an effort to do that in a while. Also, I may purchase a keyboard, which I think would really help.

-Try to make plans to do something cultural or out-of-the-ordinary. This is just my motivation for getting it on the calendar and getting someone to go with me, since it's usually a bit of a drive. But carrying out this goal is FUN! :)

What about you, my goal-setting and high-achieving friends? How do you stick to the things you need to do?

As a PS, I almost didn't post this, because I didn't want you all to know when I failed and didn't do these things...but, I hope you all as my friends and family will encourage me to continue and to "live it up" during this season of my life...and this blog is all about you all being involved in my life, even though I don't see you often...

2 comments:

Sharon Bowen said...

Hi Jenny!

Hey, it is funny you mention yoga, because I just went to my first class a couple of days ago and am trying to get into it too! I do not have any DVDs, but I just read a book ("Revive" by Frank Lipman) nd the author recommends Rodney Yee and Patricia Waldon's programs. Also, I got a book on Amazon called "30 Essential Yoga Poses for Beginners and Their Teachers." I have not used it too much yet (yup, I have been saying I was going to start yoga and meditation since, oh, last year at least), but it seems very detailed and thorough. Hope those help! Good luck! I hope we both like yoga... and find time to do it! :) Good luck with all your other goals too- you are doing so many worthwhile things! :)

Ginger de Martinez said...

Hey, how's the Spanish coming? Si necesitas ayuda, deberiamos vernos en Skype para poder platicar!!! :) Te quiero amiga mia....y yo tambien quiero empezar tocar el piano de nuevo! Y lo de pasar tiempo con Dios en las maƱanas es otra meta mia. Asi que, aunque lejos, estamos conectados en nuestros deseos/metas!!! :)