CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

December 11, 2011

What does Advent mean to you?

A couple of weeks ago, I led devotion for one of our volunteer houses. Because it was the first week of Advent (and consequently the week after Thanksgiving), I wanted to facilitate a conversation on this important time of the year (as well as Christmas). But, I didn't grow up in a "liturgical" church or one that placed alot of emphasis on Advent (although I think churches across all denominational lines just word it differently often with the same themes). But now that I am a part of a church that has Advent readings each week, I decided to find out a little more about this season.

I did some research and found ideas about preparation and expectation, about the "Spirit of Advent" (I love this poem), the Second Coming (of Jesus), and the presence of Jesus now in our lives....all of which are important themes to consider this season. Each of us who celebrate Advent participate in its meaning in a different way as our faith is personal. For me, this year I have really focused on HOPE.  I just think it is so appropriate for our world right now, and for mine. With all the divisiveness in politics, the despair of those without jobs, the growing hunger and need in third world countries while our country is consumed with consuming, and the growing hopelessness of so many individuals and their relationships with one another...what a sense of hope the coming of Christ can really offer to each of us. 

 
So I hope we all can focus on the real meaning of Christmas this year....not just feel guilty when we spend too much on gifts or eat too much at parties or collapse under the stress of all the festivities....but that we quiet ourselves to experience the presence of Christ and be thankful that He came. And that we find hope and a reason to really celebrate.

Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. -Eph. 3:20



0 comments: