CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

February 22, 2012

Day 1: Ash Wednesday

Today is day one of Lent and also day one of my 40 days of thankfulness. Today I got to worship for the first time in an Ash Wednesday service at my church. This is common is most "liturgical" churches (at least as far as I know), but not in the Baptist tradition in which I was raised. And...well, I get excited over small things. So, I was most excited about "getting the ashes" on my head. I think I felt I had missed out on some part of the awesomeness of Lent without it. So, yay....I got the ashen sign of the cross for the first time!

And, more importantly, I am thankful for the reminder that this is a time of self-examination, repentance, and ultimately, forgiveness. And I love this...

"Shout the message!
   Don't hold back.
   Say to my people Israel:
   You've sinned! You've turned
   against the LORD.
    Day after day, you worship him
   and seem eager to learn
   his teachings.
   You act like a nation
   that wants to do right
   by obeying his laws.
   You ask him about justice,
   and say you enjoy
   worshiping the LORD.
    You wonder why the LORD
   pays no attention
   when you go without eating
   and act humble.
   But on those same days
   that you give up eating,
   you think only of yourselves and abuse your workers.
    You even get angry
   and ready to fight.
   No wonder God won't listen
   to your prayers!
    Do you think the LORD
   wants you to give up eating
   and to act as humble
   as a bent-over bush?
   Or to dress in sackcloth
   and sit in ashes?
   Is this really what he wants
   on a day of worship?
    I'll tell you
   what it really means
   to worship the LORD.
   Remove the chains of prisoners
   who are chained unjustly.
   Free those who are abused!
    Share your food with everyone
   who is hungry;
   share your home
   with the poor and homeless.
   Give clothes to those in need;
   don't turn away your relatives.
    Then your light will shine
   like the dawning sun,
   and you
   will quickly be healed.
   Your honesty will protect you as you advance,
   and the glory of the LORD
   will defend you from behind.
    When you beg the LORD for help,
   he will answer, "Here I am!"
   Don't mistreat others
   or falsely accuse them
   or say something cruel.
    Give your food to the hungry
   and care for the homeless.
   Then your light will shine
   in the dark;
   your darkest hour will be
   like the noonday sun.
    The LORD will always guide you
   and provide good things to eat
   when you are in the desert.
   He will make you healthy.
   You will be like a garden
   that has plenty of water
   or like a stream
   that never runs dry.
    You will rebuild those houses
   left in ruins for years;
   you will be known
   as a builder and repairer
   of city walls and streets.
    But first, you must start
   respecting the Sabbath
   as a joyful day of worship.
   You must stop doing and saying
   whatever you please
   on this special day.
    Then you will truly enjoy
   knowing the LORD.
   He will let you rule
   from the highest mountains
   and bless you with the land
   of your ancestor Jacob.
   The LORD has spoken!" -Isaiah 58


0 comments: