This week is our annual Women's Retreat. It's probably the only vacation many of our ladies may get...to a camp down the road. So, our staff works really hard on it. We get them gifts, provide lots of food and snacks, give them time to rest and hang out, as well as get pampered. It literally WEARS ME OUT. But, at the end of it, we all feel better because we did it and we got to know some new ladies from the counties where we work.
Today, I stop to remember that....because I got really stressed last night. One of our volunteers on staff has an illness in the family so she won't be there. Another community volunteer who was going to help also won't be there. Another staff person who was helping had a death in the family, so she can't come. All of their responsibilities fell to the rest of us to figure out (read: me). I was dreading the thought of having to cook more than one meal (a big task to cook for 60+ people), as well as now transporting women to camp, and figuring out some last-minute decorations.
And, then, after a few hours of loading up the supplies, I went to McDonald's to pick up some hamburgers that were donated and had to re-arrange some things in the back of the cargo van (picture: creeper van). I went in the back to do this, and the door to the van shut behind me, and I was trapped inside. I was torn between waving out the window for help (and being
mistaken for someone who had been kidnapped or imprisoned) and just
waiting on someone to come get me (I fortunately had my phone with me). It actually was quite hilarious as a woman from the parking lot came over about 10 minutes later to help me out (she had seen me go in and not come out) by opening the door from the outside. And thank goodness it wasn't too hot today!
All that to say, it really lightened up my day. When I took time to laugh at the situation, and with my co-workers who I shared it with, the rest of our responsibilities just fell into place, and we had a great time getting ready (plus some last-minute help)....although I was glad when it was all finished! Here's praying that I take time to laugh each day and for a great few days with the women....
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
1 comments:
This sounds like something that would've happened to Jenna :)
Post a Comment