I don't know about you, but I've been watching the Olympics, at least casually, whenever I was home at night. I'm not at all ashamed of this; when I missed it, I felt like I should be watching it. But, my excitement was a little deflated by the end of it all. And here's why:
Too much of the same events: Remember in the winter Olympics when they televised the curling event and everyone thought it was the coolest new thing? Well, I would love to have seen some shooting, archery, wrestling on prime time, instead of the same events every night.
No soccer: Ok, I know I'm biased, but soccer is a popular sport, even in America. I'd say even more popular than volleyball or swimming. They need to show it-especially if we're fighting for gold! (and really even the other team sports weren't shown enough).
Not enough action: One night we watched a history lesson on London, as part of the prime-time lineup. And, although it was interesting and educational, I would rather see some of the actual sporting events. It's the OLYMPICS, not the History channel.
All despite the negatives, I love the Olympics...even more now that I can appreciate it. It rises above all the conflicts in the world, politics, or rivalries in sports, and it's just about that...the people who train, and the results they get, and the sport itself. I loved seeing people from all different countries, languages, and cultures come together and compete....and respect and genuinely congratulate one another afterward. It brings out the positives of patriotism, yet allows us to cheer for people from other countries, too. We watch history being made daily, which is such an amazing thing. We watch citizens who have made true sacrifice...just to participate...in ways most of us will never experience. We see raw, real emotion...because of success...and because of failure. And we watch athletes we can cheer for, many of them who will never be professional or wealthy because of their hard work, and know that we all have something to look forward to.
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment