Sometimes it's really hard to get in the "Christmas spirit." It's the busiest time of the year for those of us in the non-profit world. Plus, it seems that when life gets a little crazy, things snowball. This week has been no exception.
Things are crazy at work. Therefore,
I have to be on the road alot.
I haven't had enough rest and exercise, so I got sick with a head cold.
Head colds have to run their course, no matter how many home remedies I do (did you know there are even yoga positions for head colds?).
Then, my car started having some serious problems, and has been at the mechanic's on and off all week.
Because I have no car, I begin having thoughts about how hard it is to be single, since I have no one to come rescue me when I'm stranded. Which makes Christmas even harder.
And let's not even get into all the parties, food, white elephant gifts, and commercialism you have to fight to focus on the real meaning of Christmas.
Oh yes, the real meaning of Christmas...
A few evenings ago (in the midst of all of the above), I had to come up with a devotional thought for some of our volunteers. I found one, and also remembered this song I had on a mixed Christmas CD.
It was just what I needed to remind me. God sent Jesus at night, quietly, and it didn't attract alot of attention. Probably no one looked twice at a little family in a stable. They just kept on with their busy lives. Just like us.
But, more often than not, that's how God speaks to us, too. He asks us to slow down and listen for Him in the quiet. It's often barely perceptible. But he's there. Even in the craziness.
He's reminding me that though it's crazy at work, I'm working to give someone else a better Christmas. What a blessing to get to do that AT WORK.
That even though I have a cold, I'll be healthy in a few days, and that I should not take that for granted.
That I should be thankful to have money for the car repairs and not really be stranded. And that my car, CAN be repaired :).
And he reminds me there are many reasons to enjoy this time of singleness. And that I have many friends and co-workers who would gladly help me out when needed. Plus, being stranded at my apartment means I have to slow down a little. Isn't that what is most needed in this season?
0 comments:
Post a Comment