CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

December 20, 2012

The Joy of Christmas


"Truly He taught us to love one another, 
His law is love and His gospel is peace. 
Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother. 
And in his name all oppression shall cease. 
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we, 
With all our hearts we praise His holy name. 
Christ is the Lord!
Then ever, ever praise we, 
His power and glory ever more proclaim! 
His power and glory ever more proclaim!"

                                                                                - O Holy Night

Today, I was at our last Christmas distribution (yay!) and we sang this song. It was nothing spectacular-just our voices along with the guitar. But, you know those times when you stop to read and hear the lyrics and really SING them? (I know you probably do this when you sing every hymn, right?) But, what if we really believe and live the words in this verse of the beautiful Christmas hymn--what if we "with all our hearts praise His holy name"? 

This Christmas season I have not been greatly looking forward to Christmas and have not been filled with the spirit. One reason for this is that both of my sisters will not be home to celebrate together. I'm not really into tradition for tradition's sake, but knowing I will see my sisters -at least at Christmas - always makes me look forward to that time in Tennessee. So it will be a little different. Our family has come to terms with that, I think, but it doesn't mean we enjoy being apart. (And this is probably even more true for my sisters who are away from home. Amy and Angie-you are missed and loved). 

Also, I don't think any other season makes me dwell on the fact that I'm still single more than this time of the year (Thanksgiving to Christmas then New Year's followed by my birthday and then Valentine's Day....). Most of the year, it doesn't bother me as much...I do like many things about being single. But, during the holidays, it just seems like it might be a little more fun (among other adjectives) if I had someone to share it with. 

Just sayin'.

And then, right when I want to wallow in all that, I think about others---when I give out Christmas gifts to a family that would have nothing; when I drop some coins into the Salvation Army bucket; when I wrap a meaningful gift; when I sign a Christmas card....

....and then I remember those Advent candles:

-Hope--that keeps me looking forward to what God has for me, in each season of my life.
-Peace--that "in His name all oppression will cease."
-Joy--no, not happiness, but something much deeper, that joy that is not based on how I feel or on my circumstances.
-Love--to focus outward and not inward and to show love to ALL
-and most importantly, Christ--who is the center of our celebration and should bring us all to a pause, regardless of who we're with or what we're doing or what our circumstances. Because He's what it's about. It's about that night when He came...and changed everything.


"O Holy Night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Savior's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining
Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth.
A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!
O night divine, the night when Christ was born;
O night, O Holy Night , O night divine!
O night, O Holy Night , O night divine!"

                                                             -O Holy Night



0 comments: