So as the year comes to close and I realize that I have not been blogging AT ALL, I thought I'd highlight a few things from this year...that I meant to share, but never did. It's long, so if you choose to skim, I understand!
1. Ran my second..and probably last..half-marathon. The first time that I ran a half, it was because it was on my bucket list. It was the inaugural race in the county where I work, and the proceeds went to the organization where I work (and sometimes play!). So, despite the fact that I only had a few months to train, I began building up my runs each week. Unfortunately, by the time I got past 6 miles...not even halfway...I was in alot of pain while I was running...I cut back some and didn't train on hills, but I still was a little worried on race day. But, I fought through the pain and ran the very-hilly course through Rockcastle County and Renfro Valley...even with a smile (and a pretty decent time)! Though I don't see running in my future, I can't argue with the high that comes from a peaceful run on a Saturday morning. Plus, it was cool to see so many of my fellow CAP family come together for the race. Worth putting on the list! (And if any of you are runners, you should consider running it next year!)
2. Seven. No, not the deadly sins. If you were around me any in the last 6 months, you probably heard me talking about this book (my poor co-workers I'm sure had enough from our lunch conversations). I requested it at Christmas last year, and convinced my unsuspecting Sunday School class to do the Bible study that goes along with the book (a 7 week study that has taken us 9 months!). Though many of the themes were ones I dealt with as a volunteer, this book really rocked my world and made me think about what I eat, wear, how I spend my time, and where I put my money...and how that does or doesn't look like Jesus and how He taught us to live. For anyone who has gotten fed up with our American culture to buy more, get more, look better....I highly recommend this book...SO GOOD...in a sort-of uncomfortable way. It is one of the few books I've ever read that truly will forever change my life. Plus, I LOVE Jen Hatmaker. I hope we can be friends in real life someday.
3. Insanity. After hearing about this workout from several people, I borrowed it from a friend and tried it over the summer. I even managed to get up early and fit it in each morning. Though I took a break from it when I started running, I ended up cancelling my gym membership because I loved this routine in the mornings. I'm now back to Shaun T's workouts and have never felt better...and there are not many workouts that will get me out of the bed before 5:30 a.m.! I'm hoping this change--to do an intense workout each morning--is a lifelong habit!4. Five-year work anniversary. Um, that's a long time. For real. (I know, not so much from the generation above me who have stayed in one job their whole lives). The five-year mark was a really significant one for me. Fortunately, I really love where I work and the people with whom I get to serve alongside. This past year, we began some changes in my program and it's really rewarding to see some of the ideas we've talked about finally begin to come to fruition. For any of you who have worked within the cycles of poverty, seeing change is such a slow process that it makes it hard for those of us who may not feel we are making a difference (which I've learned is difficult for me). Also, this year at work has been my most challenging so far, but God is using it to teach me some difficult lessons about grace and patience!
| Amy was able to come with me for the awards luncheon |
6. Babies. 2010-11 was the year of weddings for me. But this year has been the year of babies. And though I often wonder if either of those milestones will happen for me, I am still overjoyed for my many close friends who have had babies or are approaching their due dates. They are incredible mothers, and are examples for me of patience, faith and love. (You know who you are). Though not in the strict sense, I've gained some precious nephews and nieces!
7. Will's battle with cancer. Being a part of the team of friends surrounding Will and Angie during his battle with cancer this year was an honor. I have learned so much from him, but especially this year as he really taught us all how to live.
This year also gave me the chance to have meaningful conversations and time with friends who I don't see every day...including a trip to Memphis, a reunion in KY, and a trip to El Salvador. I'm already looking forward to seeing my friends again this year. Distance has deepened our friendships in many ways.

3 comments:
Just like YOU....your word-smithing and blog presentation was classy & well done. Great synopsis on your life in 2013. To this day, I still think of you every Wednesday, when I'm in Zumba (albeit in the water). Trying to picture you in that red Prius & crossing the finish line in that Marathon. Your life is bonded by Faith & Service. So now, naturally, I want that soul- mate for you to walk into your life. So if you don't mind, I shall pray to St. Genevieve, Patron saint for these kinds of these things. (You know us Catholics....we have patron saints for just about everything). Love & miss you, Jenny. Marilyn
I'm so happy that I got to spend time with you in 2013 and that Elisha is one of those babies who has inherited a wonderful aunt! Also, I don't know how it took you time to love your red Prius... when I got mine, I just kept thinking, "I can't believe I'm driving a Prius. This is my dream car!" We'll continue to pray for you as you're looking for Mr. Right because we know that he's out there, it's just a matter of finding him.
Who's driving your Saturn?! And now I am going to read that book for sure!
Post a Comment