I have had the last two days off from work because of the snow and ice. The first day was awesome--I got to sleep in, cook, and work on a few projects at my leisure. Plus, catch up a little on Downtown Abbey! Today, although I have enjoyed the slow pace and getting to wear my yoga pants all day, I was a little stir-crazy (soon I'll most likely be re-organizing my closets---this is the craziness that happens when I'm left alone too long!). So, I decide to work on work first (while eating my pancakes and drinking coffee)....which was a good choice. I was glad I was able to feel productive and lazy at the same time!
But, it caused me first to think about the teachers and students who have been out in some of our counties for over 20 days because of the weather. They get alot of criticism for it, but I actually drove some of the side roads on a day when it had been "clear" for almost a week. Let's just say it's not so clear where the sun doesn't shine and tree limbs cover the road. But, how does it feel to be cooped up for days on end? To read every book and watch every video you have (maybe if I had cable, there would be additional options)? To literally have nothing to do?
And then it led me to think about my participants who do not work. I've read several books as of late on the topic (Toxic Charity and When Helping Hurts topping the list) of how to truly help people in poverty and the answer is virtually never to just give them something. That being said....how long would it take me to feel useless and that I could not contribute to society....and to become unhealthy? (I can tell you that a few more days of this would be all it would take.) How do my participants really feel when they have "unearned" income? How can we involve them in the process? How can I truly get to know them?
But this goes beyond my work. How can we at church not overlook the fact that each person who walks through the door has something to contribute? How do my eyes glance over the need right around me? I skim over disturbing news headlines, those who don't look like me at church, at the grocery, who I pass on the street? How often do I make a donation and feel like I've done something without getting involved in the actual process--without knowing anything about the person who I'm helping? How can we "love our neighbor" if we don't know them?
Okay, now I've got to figure out what to do with this....
So maybe I'm thankful for this chance to slow down, read, notice, breathe.
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment