When I was in grad school, I took a course on respecting diversity. It was one of the most eye-opening experiences of my life. It brought to the forefront prejudices each of has even if we don't think we are....not just toward other races, but also...ageism, against disabilities, political affiliation, religious orientation, sexual orientation, what region one is from, educational background (or lack of), and the list could go on and on.
One of the reasons I came to Appalachia was because I felt I could relate to this culture...especially being from a rural area in the South. I didn't have to learn a language or cultural norms in order to serve more effectively. Well, after one day I saw how wrong I was! Often, I feel like I am in a foreign country. I walk into a store with a housemate and realize we don't really fit in. The clothes I would wear to Wal-mart on Saturday are a little too dressy even for work. And even though I have a Southern accent, I sometimes need a translator to figure out what a participant is trying to communicate.
That being said, I have had the realization that we all carry prejudice reinforced once again. The stereotypes of Appalachia and the issues that are present as a result of the poverty and need are ever-present. What you are picturing is probably very accurate. And then I am reminded why I am here...to love and serve these people, even if sometimes I am a little uncomfortable.
By the way, I'm loving it!
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment