I've been doing a study on poverty through the church I attend here, called Hope Lives. It's been an excellent reminder of God's command to help the poor. There are several stories and examples of impoverished people in other countries. And every time I read them, I am reminded of the poverty I see every day. And also the generosity of others. I want to share some with you, and I'll try to do this more often...
-A month ago CAP helped a family with purchasing a water meter so they could have running water. They are currently living in a RV on top of a very steep hill (I had to get a "running start" in my truck to get up it the first time!). CAP also provided them with wonderboard (for underpinning to insulate) since they heat with a small space heater. Unfortunately, when the water company came to install the water meter, they said they could not get it in (after they started drilling) because of the rock. Therefore, this family is still hauling water up the hill from the water meter that was installed on the other side of their neighbor's land. AND the water company charged them an additional $400+ to drill the second time in order to have the water meter. I have spoken to the water company multiple times and the county judge (who authorized the drilling on county property), but to no avail. But they were so thankful for our help in getting them a water source, so they don't have to drive to a friend's to get a barrel of water.
-And then we have a sweet lady who comes to get "commodities" (Commodity Supplemental Food Program from the USDA) each month. She always brings produce from her land, usually apples, to share with others. This week our house had apple pie from these country apples (organic!), which was a nice treat!
In other news...
-I went to the Vandy/Kentucky game here in Lexington last night. It was a great game, especially since Vanderbilt won! But, it was a little strange being in the minority, surrounded by Wildcat fans...even my friends who I went with cheered for UK. But we survived the COLD weather, and even saw a few flurries here this morning!
-Work is staying busy as we are getting our Christmas family and elderly boxes in this month. My Christmas service and distribution will be on December 19, so I greatly appreciate your prayers for this!
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
1 comments:
Jenny! I miss you!
So, is it consistently cold in Kentucky, because we hit at least the upper 50's today, but we had flurries on Saturday. Wait, I'm in Kansas... ;-)
I hope I get to see you guys relatively soon!
-Betsy
Post a Comment