CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

November 23, 2008

So this is the week for Thanksgiving, and I am very blessed! I am very thankful for this opportunity to be a part of CAP and the work we are doing in Appalachia. Here are a few reasons....

...for my community...I live in a house with currently 12 other people...just the amount of people can be trying sometimes...I'm still learning to take time for myself...otherwise I'll go crazy. That being said, I'm very thankful for the people in our home. We're like family is so many ways-- we have our ups and downs, times of moodiness, arguments, yet constant companionship and true friendship that only comes when you KNOW someone. I'm growing more each day as a result of the gifts each of them bring to my life. They come from all over the States (and the world)...Liz from Illinois, Duane, Paul, and Zaneta from New York, Yong Hwa from South Korea, Rich, Barb, and Helen from Florida, Kim from Colorado, Sharyn and Jessica from Oregon, and Jenna from Cali. They represent all age groups and life status...from directly out of college to retired, married and single. When else will I get a chance to share a house with a group like this?

...for a volunteer experience like this one...CAP provides our living expenses...food and shelter, plus a small stipend. I feel very blessed to be in a place that I truly don't have to worry that I'm losing money in the stock market, or about the rising costs of groceries and transportation...I feel sheltered from the worry of losing my job or cutting my budget during this time in our economy. Don't misunderstand...we have a tight budget for what we can spend and I've had to adjust to not having money, but it's nice to not be the one making these decisions, and know that these things are provided for me.

...for a slower pace of life...to be able to take a run out in the picturesque country with the cows grazing and log cabins with smoke coming from the chimney....it is so peaceful. And I do not take this for granted. I love the way people here will take time to talk to you..to just come in and chat. And the way people wave at you when your cars pass on the road. And even though it is sometimes treacherous, I love the winding, country roads.

And I am thankful that I am going to see my family in Tennessee this week...hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and take the time to be grateful for what God has given you!! Blessings!

0 comments: