I had been warned by my housemates about going to the post office in Renfro Valley, KY. Renfro Valley technically has its own zip code, but actually is a cluster of shops and concert halls (or "barns"). It is, however, the closest post office...only a mile down the highway. So, this morning I went to mail my friend, Ginger, her Christmas package to El Salvador.
I'm pretty certain that it's been a long time since a package was mailed to El Salvador from this post office (or to any international location for that matter)....and here's why:
I handed the older lady operating the post office (the entire office is really just a small room). She placed it on a scale...not a scale that digitally calculates the postage and gives the customer options for when it will arrive and the cost....not even a smaller version that calculates the weight. No, a scale (or level) much like you see in a grocery store or one which would weigh fruit or veggies at home...
Then, she told me how much it would cost. (And I didn't get options about air mail or priority mail or the flat rate....just one price here!) The quote she gave me was MUCH lower than I expected to mail something internationally.
I said, "Oh, to El Salvador?"
She responded, "Oh, I didn't see where it was going. (what?!) Let me look that up."
Then, she proceeded to look at a map on the wall behind her. She had to find El Salvador (thankfully I had written "Centro America" in the address so this gave her a clue as to its location) on the map and then she gave me the total price. It was still significantly lower than I expected. And no electronic stamp was printed with the amount....she just penciled in $1.73 in the corner. Before I paid her, I asked her if I needed to fill out a customs slip.
She responded, "Oh, I forgot. I was about to get that for you." (Really?) She handed it to me, and I filled it out. Then, she "checked" it, but it honestly appeared that she was looking at each section for the first time.
I may see it again when it is returned to me for insufficient postage. Ginger, merry Christmas, I hope you get your gift!
So here's to my Kentucky experience...not to make fun of the culture, I truly think rural America is very charming in its own way, and a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the "city." My co-worker, Rich, loves the saying of Mark Twain which I think sums this up well..."when the end of the world comes I want to be in Kentucky, because there it will come 20 years later."
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
1 comments:
I miss the Renfro post office! Though the one time I sent something to Mexico I went to Mount Vernon. But I was going to the Renfro post office every other day to mail out packets to apply for teacher jobs. The price was always less than the same packet sent from Mt. Vernon.
Oh, and that Mark Twain quote made my day :-)
Post a Comment