For the last 2 weeks, I have been involved in CAP's WorkFest. (No, this is not a "celebration of work" as my sister thought). WorkFest is our alternative spring break program. College students and other volunteers from across the country come and spend their spring break working on homes in eastern Kentucky. They do home repairs such as roofing, siding, porches, etc. Part of my job involves helping with this event. Each week I have gone out to the sites (we have 8 projects with crews of 8-12 each week) and delivered Mennonite donuts (mmmm!) and taken pictures. I have also helped in preparation for this event by putting together informational tools (directions to sites, phone #'s, power point, etc..). But, by far, the highlight of this month was actually working on a crew last week. My previous "housing" experience consisted of hanging pictures in my apartments (and I don't even use a level), so needless to say I was clueless on how to do any sort of home repair! But it was so empowering to be able to say that I tore off and installed a new roof, put up siding, cut a hole in Wonderboard (made of cement and metal) with a hand saw, and took off and installed new doors, all the time learning how to use power tools. The whole experience was great-getting to know our sweet family (the homeowner cooked treats for us every day, and complete Southern home-style dinner on Thursday) and working with several awesome college students and the rest of our crew.
Here are some pics:
Overall, I'm so glad I did this. The enthusiasm of the students is infectious. It made me appreciate CAP even more and rejuvenated me to continue my work. We all stepped out of our comfort zones and were able to help a deserving family along the way...isn't that what it's all about?
I'm headed off tomorrow to wrap up the last week of WorkFest. More to come...



0 comments:
Post a Comment