CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

March 31, 2009

Happy Spring!

In my last post, I told you about WorkFest. Last week we wrapped up our last week of WorkFest. We had no accidents and completed almost all of the homes--faster than we expected! The crew leaders (i.e. the other volunteers in housing, most are guys straight out of college) did a great job with the help of their crew chiefs (CAP employees, their normal crew leaders).

WorkFest gave me a renewed love for eastern Kentucky, its people, and my work here. Many of us are beginning to contemplate (or actually making plans) for our plans after CAP. Although I am considering some possibilities, I am also trying to enjoy the time I have here instead of spending all of my time thinking about what happens after this. I'm realizing that though I might not see results, I have impacted people here in some way. Even though other volunteers will be leaving and there won't be many left here who will remember "Jenny at Family Advocacy", there will be participants in Rockcastle and other counties who will never forget the lumber I helped get them for their floor, or the crew I worked on to get them a new roof, or the Christmas gifts that were given. And that is the beauty of CAP...that it will keep going and volunteers will come and go.....and each year of service adds a new piece to the quilt that makes this CAP. I hope we all take time to recognize the work God is doing around and through us, instead of rushing to what's next.

In other news...
*I and two of my friends here, Kim and Kelly, drove to Nashville on Saturday. We visited Vanderbilt, the Country Music Hall of Fame, and Opryland, along with a couple of my favorite restaurants. It was a beautiful day, and so refreshing to visit the city again.
*I am starting to run again. Several of us in CAP are running a relay marathon on April 25. I'm only running a 5K, but even that is more than I've been doing... :)
*I have given up sweets for Lent. It's actually been pretty freeing. I have a major sweet tooth and just knowing that I AM capable of saying "no" to desserts empowers me to be healthier.
*I am going to visit 3 of my high school girls...Emily, Fawn, and Cortney...this weekend in St. Louis. I'm so excited to have some quality girl-time in the city!

Here's one more pic of me at WorkFest:
Oh, and here's a link to a special on NBC, in which CAP was mentioned...check it out!

1 comments:

Kim said...

That sawzall looks like it's about to go straight through your ladder! And, I think you took "safety fashions" literally ;)