CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

April 22, 2009

It's Earth Day!

Well, today is Earth Day and it's one of our first warm days, so hopefully we can all get out and enjoy the earth. I was thinking about how my experience in Kentucky has changed how I see nature and our environment. I think more than anything it's made me really see it. In a few days, I'll post some pics of the landscape around Rockcastle county, because I want you all to see how truly beautiful it is. And I hope you all each take time to do the same in your community. I don't want to take this beauty for granted. Or miss hearing God speak to me through the earth He created.

And if you don't already, take this opportunity to do something green! For years, I've recycled, but living in community has made me more aware of being good stewards of our resources...here's a few things we do...I know each of these will be things I carry with me when I leave....
-Recycle. You can recycle more than just paper and plastic....check and see how do do this where you live! I think CAP keeps our little recycling center here in Mt. Vernon going single-handedly. CAP has been encouraging this more in the office as well...not printing every email and putting out recycling containers for paper and other waste.
-Try to use less water. Some do this better than others, but we try to take shorter showers (also because we don't have a large hot water heater!) and not let the water just run while we brush our teeth or wash dishes.
-Use "real" dishes instead of paper products and use cloth napkins instead of paper napkins.
-Compost....our community just started doing this, so we're still figuring it out...
-Plant a garden. I remember one year when I lived in the city, I planted a small "garden" on my deck in my apartment. Home-grown veggies are so much better!
-Watch our energy and gas consumption.....carpool, turn off lights, hang clothes out to dry, watch thermostat....
-We also have a tight budget for food. We don't buy the more expensive, prepared foods, but instead prepare it ourselves (like buy the fruit and cut it, instead of already chopped). This is something I did not do before, mainly because I was cooking for one and it just made more sense. But I've begun to enjoy this....perusing the pantry to see what we have (we get a lot of food in bulk) before cooking so that I'm cooking a recipe according to what we have instead of finding a recipe I want and buying all new ingredients. I use www.allrecipes.com often because you can even search by ingredients. We also are starting to buy local foods....like local meat and produce to support our community and ourselves (among other reasons).

I realize that many of you are much more environmentally-aware than I am. And sometimes we have to cut corners or do what's convenient. But, we can all try just a little harder to benefit our community and take care of the world God has created for us.

In other news...
-Please pray for me as I make decisions about my next steps. I am currently looking for jobs (or other opportunities) and applying. I'm still working through exactly which route to take as I hope to use skills from my time in counseling as well as those I've gained here in Family Advocacy.
-Also, pray for our Teen Retreat (May 1-3) and the Women's Retreat (May 11-13). I am helping with both, although more with the Women's Retreat (I'm planning all the meals for 70 people!). Please pray for all the participants that they would have a spiritual retreat and for our staff as we plan and prepare for them.
-I am running a 5K today and in a race on Saturday in Louisville.....more to come!

1 comments:

Tiffany said...

I am so happy you all still compost. I started it last year after being inspired by Jackson House. Helen told me there was a giant squash growing on the hillside from old seeds. How wonderful!