Last week was a week of racing for me. On Wednesday, seven of my fellow volunteers and I participated in an Earth Day 5K race. We registered as a team (it was cheaper!) and ended up winning in the group competition. Also, Allen, a housing volunteer in McCreary Co., won first place as an individual. It was a good "warm-up" for the race we had registered for months before...the Kentucky Derby Festival Relay Marathon. I had never heard of a relay marathon; my only frame of reference was relays I did as a part of the track team in high school (totally unrelated: Can you believe my 10-year high school reunion is this year?). It consisted of five people (we had one guy and 4 girls): one runs a 12K, 2 run 10K's, and 2 run 5K's. I was one who had an "easy" leg...the 5K. Although, I just have to insert that running 3 miles has never been easy for me!
So, we made our trek to Louisville. After very little sleep in the hotel, Kelly, Jessica (our driver and cheerleader), and I headed to the start line at 5:30 a.m. We arrived in plenty of time and I was able to see Kelly off with the other 12,000 participants before heading to my destination. When it was time for my run, it had gotten pretty warm. However, I had a nice run through Churchill Downs (race track for the Derby) and made fairly good time before handing off to Kim. I was so thankful to see her around the corner!! Apparently, as she was waiting for me, she watched a guy pass out from the heat and exhaustion and have to be helped by the medical team. That's when this all got very interesting....
The night before the race we had made our plans for how to make it to the shuttles that would take us to our destinations. We even drove to downtown Louisville so we wouldn't get lost the next morning. We asked the race officials, and they assured us that we could take the shuttles to the start of each of our legs and then catch the waiting shuttle after we finished which would take us to the finish line, where we could all cross the finish line together. Well, after my leg, I had some water and began walking down the race path to where I could catch the shuttle. Unfortunately, I never found this elusive shuttle. After I walked a few blocks and saw no signs of a school bus (aka, "shuttle"), I began asking the race officials, security officers, medical team, policemen, and firemen about the whereabouts of the shuttle for the relay members. No one knew or had heard anything about the shuttle. At the fire station (where I had been directed to by the policeman), they offered to call someone and they let me use their restroom (which was nice after using the port-o-potty earlier!). But, alas, I did not have my cell phone nor did I know anyone to call....I also didn't have any money or an ID. I was slightly perturbed and beginning to feel a little lost, but mostly I just wanted to make it back to my team! One of the race officials actually told me he had "never heard of a shuttle in all 15 years he'd worked at the race" and that I "shouldn't believe everything I hear." So, I asked him how far it was to the end....and he said about 3 or 4 miles. So....I began running. And walking. And jogging. I smiled to the encouraging spectators along the route. I enjoyed the upbeat music along the streets of Louisville. As I neared the last mile (of the mini-marathon), a woman was directing the racers as those running the full marathon split from those doing the mini (or half) marathon. She was confused to see me since my bib was a different color indicating that I was running the relay. So I explained my situation and she asked, "Are you OK??" I answered, "Yes, ma'am, but I'm just looking for the fastest way to the finish." She told me I only had one more mile. So I decided I could do that...and I crossed the finish line with the thousands of other half-marathoners. Fortunately, Kelly had seen me as I neared the finish (although she was also very confused about why I was running at this point in the race!) and found me sitting on the steps at the shuttle drop-off about a half-hour later. I was unbelievably relieved to see her as I had visions of being lost in Louisville the rest of the day. So we went back to the finish and waited for Allen (our final runner). Bridget and Kim, our other teammates, also made it back (also a miracle in itself!) and we ran through the finish line together as a team (my second time through the finish)! It was awesome!! We later found out we placed 8th out of 37 co-ed relay teams (pretty good considering we only had one male) and came in at around 4 hours. And I'm considering that maybe I could do a half-marathon some day....I did almost half of it on Saturday and without much training! Also, congrats to my little sister, Angie, who had a great time on the Country Music half-marathon!
So we kicked off Derby Week in style with the race.....we are also planning to go to the Derby on Saturday (just the cheap in-field seats)....hopefully with sundresses and hats! I might even make the traditional Derby dishes....Derby Pie and "Hot Browns." Mmmm!
So Happy Derby Week!!

0 comments:
Post a Comment