CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

May 4, 2009

Kentucky Derby 2009

Kim, Jenna, and me at Churchill Downs

So, in case you missed the news.....last weekend was the Kentucky Derby...the premiere event here in the great state of Kentucky. Several of us headed up to Louisville (about a 2-hour drive) on Saturday. I almost backed out of going because of the weather....cold (a.k.a., below 70 degrees) and rainy. But, fortunately, I decided only to forgo wearing a sundress (don't worry, I still wore a hat!) and it did not rain on us at the race. Now, my experience with the Derby is limited...i.e., I have never watched it. This reminded me of the first time I went to a NASCAR race in Charlotte. I didn't think I would enjoy it, but my sentiments toward watching races has changed. It actually is entertaining, especially when you are invested...the few races where I actually picked a favorite horse (you know, by color and number; maybe by name), I really got into the race (although, one major difference is that a NASCAR race lasts hours, a horse race only seconds). The atmosphere of the infield (we kept referring to this as where the poor people stand) has been compared to that of the Mardi Gras or a frat party. Both of these are fairly accurate. This year was a record crowd despite the weather...over 150,000. In the infield, you can see very little of the race, but we managed to squeeze in beside the police officers next to the gate, and were able to see the horses around Turn 3. Overall, I had a nice time....although next time I want to sit in the "real" seats......you know, with all my wealthy, famous friends!

And to end the weekend, I made Hot Browns and Derby Pie on Sunday. These are both served around Derby time, and were delicious!

And in other unrelated news....I will be contributing to another CAP blog....http://calledtothemountains.blogspot.com. This will feature stories from volunteers currently serving in CAP. Check it out! Also, you should check out the clip on "Volunteerism" on the CAP website at http://www.christianapp.org. Just click on the clip for "CAP Volunteer Program."

2 comments:

Kim said...

I'll totally let you come to the Derby with me when I'm rich and famous!

Nathan and Meg said...

The sad thing is that I have lived in Louisville for 3 1/2 years and havent been to Derby. I just watched it for the first time last year...sad, I know! I am glad you were able to go. It's definitely a big ordeal here in the Lou.