CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October 3, 2010

Counting down...

So, I promised to blog about a few of my experiences from my "bucket list." Sorry I have not held up my end of the bargain....here goes...I'll just hit on a few highlights so far...
1. Go sky-diving. My friend, Lucas, knew about this item on my list. So, when he called to ask me if I'd join him in jumping out of a plane, I didn't hesitate to say yes. Of course, weeks later when the reality of what I was doing sank in, I realized that doing this was a much bigger deal than I realized when I committed to it on the phone. And I think alot of my friends were pretty shocked that I was doing it too (what? you don't think I'm a risk-taker?). But, I have to say, I am so glad that I did it. It was such a rush, but one in which I felt very comfortable the whole time. I went tandem, which means I was harnessed to a skydiving instructor. Basically, that means I really couldn't mess anything up, and was just along for the ride. And what a ride it was....it still seems surreal that I actually was that high and fell that long and jumped out of a plane. But I did, and I'm actually planning to do it again (already bought my ticket!). Apparently I have inspired others to do the same. If you haven't done it and want to do something that is risky, but doesn't feel risky (if you're with a qualified jumper) in my opinion, you should do it.
2. Go on a spiritual retreat. This doesn't seem like a big deal to put on my list for many, but the only retreats I've been on have been with groups of people with planned events. And although those have been refreshing and times of spiritual renewal, I needed some alone time with Jesus. Alone. With no plans, no agenda, no distractions. This past weekend, I scheduled an overnight stay at a nearby retreat center. I spent over 24 hours praying, worshipping, reading, journaling...and just relaxing. It was one of the best things I've ever done. I didn't have any earth-shattering revelations, but I did renew my relationship with Christ, something that was much-needed during this time of adjustment and transition in my life. I hope to continue to do this at least annually.
3. Learn a new song on the piano. One positive thing about moving to a new place and not having many friends is having time to do other things that I've been putting off. For me, I often look back at my high school years and regret that I quit playing the piano. And after starting to practice again over the past month, I regret it even more because of how long it's going to take me to get back to reading and playing music easily. But, I have learned a few hymns in the past few weeks, and my time alone in front of the piano allows me to accomplish something valuable on my own. I'm really starting to enjoy it again...although it's hard work.
4. Shoot something. Yes, with a gun. I know, I sound very redneck. I'm no NRA-supportin', gun-totin' rebel-flag Southerner, I promise. However, I did grow up in the country where lots of families own guns....for hunting animals. My family is no exception. So, I asked my dad to take me out to shoot his rifle while I was visiting home. He agreed to let me practice at my grandmother's (way out in the country where there's no danger of hitting anyone) where I was able to shoot several different rifles and even a pistol (for a second, I thought I had lost my hearing!). Everyone should do this, it kind of makes you feel powerful :). And, I must say, I'm a pretty good shot.
5. Watch The Godfather. I watched it, didn't like it, didn't see how anyone can sit through it and actually be entertained. Sorry, guys, just wasn't my thing. Maybe I should have put Rocky on the list.

more later...

2 comments:

Dee Dee said...

Hey Jenny-thanks for sharing. I can't believe your sky diving again,but share the video again. I skydive through you! I loved reading about your retreat too. That is really awesome and something that I would like to do too. Thanks Miss and love you lots!

Dee Dee said...

You're-I should have proof read before publishing instead of after!