We got a significant falling of freezing rain/sleet over the last 2 days, and snow before that. And it's really cold--hasn't gotten above freezing all week. All that to say, the roads have been a little treacherous. For those of you who are accustomed to such weather or live in cities where they take care of the roads, it really does shut everything down around here--not only because we're not used to it, but you CANNOT travel on the back roads and hollers, much less down steep hills/mountains when there is ice or snow. So yesterday, I was inside my apartment all day and forbidden to go into work. Although a day off is nice occasionally as is a day to sit on the couch and read a book, after a couple of days of it, I go absolutely crazy. I eat too much, I sleep too much, I read too much, I run out of things to do, and I don't get enough exercise. And I think most of this discomfort is because it feels like I have no options...I feel trapped. So this morning, I was excited to get up and go into work. We still had some gift boxes to give out in the county in which I work (all of our services this week were cancelled because of the weather, but we still had to distribute the boxes) and we had a Christmas dinner and party planned. I had even made a covered dish (I like to refer to it as this because it reminds me of my small church growing up and all our "fellowships.").
So...I packed my backpack, grabbed my purse, pulled out my keys, and...oh yeah...got my dish out of the refrigerator. My hands were full. I got to the bottom of the stairs and turned the corner into the parking lot/car lot next to my building (my parking spot is around back). And...BAM!....before I realized what had happened, I was lying on the ground as my glass dish slid across the black-topped parking lot under the truck that was for sale (I couldn't believe it didn't break!). I had heard that the roads were "really bad" and that we got alot of ice, but the cars had been driving by my apartment all week with seemingly no problems. So with my cute little black shoes on, it only took one step for me to bust it on the ground. After I got up, I still had problems even walking to my car as I was sliding with every step. Long story short, my right side and hip will be a little sore, but I'm fine, thankfully. I immediately went back upstairs to change into my snow boots and ask a co-worker for a ride into work (after seeing my car completed coated with ice, I didn't feel like spending a half-hour scraping it off in the cold). And all's well.
But, it really made me think (perhaps because I have too much time on my hands), and I think God used this as a little reminder for me...funny how He does that. Are there other areas in my life where there is "black ice"? Blind spots, if you will? Are there things I'm doing or listening to or turning a blind eye to that are "really bad," but until I fall on my butt or get called to the carpet, I don't even realize it's there or realized that I developed a negative pattern? Or think nothing of it because others around me are doing it? (Don't worry, I won't use my blog as a confessional).
And, then, today at the dinner, Rich (a volunteer in my program) recited the Christmas story from the book of Luke. Another reminder (two in one day!)....have I even stopped during all the gift-wrapping and shopping and card-making and decorating and eating and handing out gifts and saying "Merry Christmas" and even talking about Advent at church to remember that we are celebrating the coming of our Savior? Our Savior!
So, I hope we all get a chance to slow down....sit by the pretty Christmas tree, have a cup of cocoa, and thank Jesus for the gift of His coming. Merry Christmas--a little early!
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
1 comments:
Was this fall similar to Louis' fall after the OCMS concert?
I'm glad you're okay :)
Post a Comment