CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

January 13, 2011

God is love.

I recently read a short little book called “Why Am I Afraid to Love?” by John Powell. It’s a book I had on my shelf for a while with Christian perspectives and a strong psychology twist (got to stay brushed up on my counseling skills)—a little paperback from the 70’s with simple but lasting lessons. And since I had a little time, I pulled out this little tool I used so often in college and grad school called a highlighter (it really is a nice little invention!). When I looked back over the book this week, I felt compelled to share a few of those highlighted nuggets. They really resonated with me and relate back to my theme of focusing on spending time with people and cultivating strong relationships as I go through this transition in my journey. I really feel like these are patterns God is teaching me over and over in this season.


Whatever else can and should be said of love, it is quite evident that true love demands self-forgetfulness. This really is the main theme of the book. It caused me to take a look at how I treat others…my friends, co-workers, family…even God….and how often these relationships are based on what I want and what I need, often unconsciously. I don’t intend to be self-centered in my conversations or activities, but often that’s what happens—I seek my own satisfaction and self-interests without even realizing it. Hmm, forgetting myself…I like that he uses the word forget…I think that’s when you know you really love someone, when you genuinely care more about what they want than what you want, to the point of completely forgetting your needs and wants.

The author goes on to discuss defense mechanisms and maturity (or the lack of it). I won’t go into these, but he also states, “Our lives are shaped by those who love us- by those who refuse to love us.” How true! How often our habits, patterns, and life choices change based on the love and attention we receive because of it, or the lack thereof.

He concludes by explaining that mature, grounded Christians focus on the needs of others, instead of their own needs. This is the true meaning and expression of Godly love. (1 John 4:7-11)

So there’s my devotional thought of the day (or month)….

0 comments: