In the days, weeks, and months leading up to turning 30, I was dreading and fighting it with everything I have. And although I can’t relate to the other milestones, like 40 or 50, I think this may be one of the harder ones. There’s something about realizing I’m not one of the younger ones anymore, that I’m not a twenty-something, that lots of my friends have growing families, that maybe I should consider “settling down” and not just moving from one adventure to another, and that I do actually have to work a little harder to be healthy.
The last week has just been very real. With the death of Ginger’s mom and my own mother’s recent illness, it makes me stop and think about the fact that we’re all growing older and are not guaranteed another day. I’ve noticed that several of my friends are going through a similar time of realizing what’s important…focusing on relationships that matter, not just having acquaintances; not holding back on your true feelings or your affection for your friends and family; taking advantage of all the small choices, actions, and decisions instead of just going through a routine each day; choosing to have a meaningful phone conversation because it matters a lot more than accomplishing your to-do list. And watching the community come together around this family during such a difficult time, I want to do that, to have that….to put down roots and connect within the community God has placed me.
Don't worry, I'm not dead yet :). But I hope God uses each year of my life to teach me a few more important lessons. And that I choose to learn them.
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment