CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

January 4, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

So, now is the week to start on all those resolutions. I have made them in the past, but this year I wasn't as motivated. I think it's because I made my "bucket list" last July, and that has motivated me way more than Jan. 1 does (I actually usually start my new year after my birthday). But, this year, I also wanted to focus more on the positive things I am currently doing. Often, Jan. 1 brings so much guilt over things that need to be changed and even more guilt when you don't stick to your goals. So, I'm focusing on the things I accomplished this year, the good habits I started, the attitudes I'm in the process of improving, the positive relationships and great friends I have made...and making goals to keep it up! When I was in grad school, I decided to stick to theories of counseling with my students that focused on solutions, not on the negatives...what are you doing that's working? How have you solved problems effectively in the past? So, as I start the new year, I hope to do the same. For example: Do I need to work out more? Yes, but I think back in 2010 to when I ran a half-marathon, and I know if I can focus on that accomplishment, hitting up the gym several times a week shouldn't be a problem. What have you done well this year?

And, for all those wondering, I've done very well on my list...though I revised it a little as I went, I have managed to check everything off. And I will have a few more entries about some of those items. I would highly recommend such a list...I'm thinking about making one yearly, or at least for my next milestone...I am so thankful for how it has motivated me and made me feel accomplished as I celebrate my 2nd annual 29th birthday :).

As an aside....I have a dear friend whose mom is dying of cancer. It has all happened so quickly; she was only diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. My heart hurts for the family. Her mom is such a Godly example of love....to her family and to everyone she meets. Everyone who encounters her walks away feeling loved and accepted. What an example she is to her children. They have all become adults with confidence, inquisitiveness, love for others, and a need to better the world. Please lift this family up in prayer. May we all continually let those close to us know how much they mean to us. 

0 comments: