I am a heavy sleeper, have even been know to walk and talk in my sleep. I count this as a huge blessing because I love and desire a good night's sleep. Although I often have trouble going to sleep if I'm in a strange place, once I am asleep, I usually sleep well. (Despite the fact that I used to require an eye mask and earplugs when I lived with many people). Since I've been in my apartment, I have slept well every night. I think it is because I have a constant stream of traffic and sound, including police cars with blaring sirens and fire trucks. So noises don't really bother me and have become a part of the background of my sleep...and dreams.
However, over the weekend, I was awakened suddenly from my sleep. On Saturday night--well, actually Sunday morning at 3:30 a.m., I awoke to banging on the door. I think in my sleepy haze, I recognized that they identified themselves as policemen. Now, honestly, there is no telling how long they were out there before I heard them. So, I woke up and immediately I come to the conclusion that the building was burning down. No, my mind does not go to the age-old question of what I would grab if my house is burning down...what possessions are most important to me. I never thought to grab my purse or my passport or anything else. I just looked at my pajamas which were pink and flannel. Comfortable, but not flattering. And, of course, I changed....into lounging pants and a sweatshirt...more acceptable for seeing people. I quietly went to the door and looked out the peephole. I discovered they were actually banging on the door of my neighbors (delinquent college-age boys). Apparently, the upstairs neighbor had called to report a noise complaint on them. She came down to relay her story to the cops. I debated if I should go out and meet my neighbor, but more importantly, if I should meet the police...it would be good to be friends with them, right? I decided against both as it was 3:30 a.m. The boys never opened their door-perhaps they could not hear over their music. The police left after warning them (yelling through the closed door to turn the music down). I went back to sleep and was again amused the next morning as I remembered my conviction that my apartment was on fire, and that all I could think to do was change my clothes. Ha.
Then, on Monday morning, I awoke a little before my morning alarm to the sound of the tornado/severe weather sirens. Where I'm from, such tornado warnings are commonplace. I don't ignore them, but realize there's little you can do in such a situation besides know the safest place to be. So, I thought about this and decided that I would leave and quickly go to work because I lived on the second floor, despite this meant actually going out into the storm. Oh, well, which is safest really? So, I had an eventful day as I had to drive to another county that day. I drove through hail and lightning, but made it safely and delivered a truck-full of seed potatoes.
Through all this, I was never significantly scared. I remember when I moved to Kentucky from Charlotte. I felt like God was bringing me to a place of safety after living through a time of fear and uncertainty. And I still feel that peace. On Friday, before this happened, I read this verse which was so appropriate: He led me to a place of safety; he rescued me because he delights in me. Psalm 18:19.
I hope you feel God's delight in you today.
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
1 comments:
Haha. I loved this story for so many reasons. The first? Thinking of you wearing an eye mask and ear plugs. Oh good times at the Rock.
Post a Comment