Over the next month or so, I will be a part of WorkFest and YouthFest here. College and high school students from across the country come to eastern Kentucky to work on home repair projects for elderly and families in need. So, I might be a little out of touch! Although my duties are quite different than they were as a volunteer, here's a little of what I'll be doing (while still trying to fit in watching basketball):
-delivering homemade Mennonite donuts to lovely college students and making them pose for pictures.
-hopefully climbing on ladders and getting on roofs (my favorite place to work!).
-being a smiling representation of the work I do and convincing students to consider coming back.
-convincing church and college leaders to partner with us or come back.
-working with my sister, Amy, a fearless elderly housing worker, for at least one day.
-sleeping on bunk beds at camp (pulling out the ear plugs again).
-using a community bathroom (something I never did in college).
-listening to local bluegrass musicians.
-answering alot of questions.
-filling in for other caseworkers and staff who are away.
-driving to and from our camps (3 hours apart) and to and from work sites (often an hour or so from camp), pumping alot of gas, grabbing food on the go or from a paper sack.
-eating a lot of good food made by our wonderful cooks and trying to still be healthy!
-cleaning up, setting up, staying up, and remembering why I love this job.
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
1 comments:
<3 Workfest
Post a Comment