CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

June 13, 2011

Best Weekend Ever

I don't know about you, but I love summer. Even with the heat. And the humidity. I'm a Southern girl, especially when it comes to the weather. And there's nothing like being outside when the sun is out. This last weekend, my sister came over to spend the weekend with me. We hadn't had a chance to celebrate her birthday, so it was our weekend to do some fun things together. We both needed some "away" sister time, and I think we both know the end is coming...when we won't live so close to each other and can't just drive over for the weekend.

We had a very FULL weekend, and fully enjoyed our time together and doing a few adventurous things...

Friday we visited a local potter at Tater Knob Pottery. It's a little outside of Berea (think down a windy country road), but was well worth it. Sarah, the potter, invited us in for coffee and cake and threw a couple of pieces for us, despite the fact that she was obviously busy. In fact, when the FedEx guy came in with a delivery, he went straight toward the table laden with food and made his lunch from the fixings in the refrigerator. This lady truly knew the meaning of hospitality....and pottery. It was a great visit, and I bought a few beautiful pieces.


Then we got ready and drove to Lexington...we got cupcakes at Babycakes Cupcakes AND Gigi's Cupcakes (that's right, we had to try out both!). Then, we headed downtown to eat at Stella's Kentucky Deli, which was awesome! I had wanted to go here for a while, and had gotten a good deal with Groupon...totally worth it! If you're ever in Lexington, you should definitely go! Then, we had planned on hitting up the local minor league baseball game. We got to the Lexington Legends stadium, but as we were waiting to go in, it began raining. Since baseball is no fun in the rain or on wet bleachers, we decided to ditch our plans and head downtown. We got there just in time for a movie at the Kentucky Theatre. I had been before, but I knew Amy would enjoy it. It has such a cool atmosphere...ornate decorations, guy playing an organ before the show, great concessions, and older couples coming out for date night. I love it.

Saturday I had to go into work for a little bit. When I got back, we decided to go for a short, easy hike to enjoy the weather. We hiked Anglin Falls and took alot of funny pictures as we made it up to the falls. We made it back to the car just in time to miss the summer thunderstorm that forced me to pull over on the way home. We got ready before heading to Lexington again.....the long way. I have wanted for a while to ride the small ferry that crosses the Kentucky River on one of the country roads between our county, on the way to Lexington. We took a drive, windows down, music up, down one of the most beautiful drives ever...alongside the creek most of the way. I found several country churches that would be perfect for a wedding someday (just sayin'). Then, in a little town called Valley View, we made it to the ferry not long before it closed for the day. We had never ridden a ferry and the fact that it was a small one (only large enough for about 3 cars) in Kentucky made it even better...especially the old men spending their evening watching the ferry come in! We went to eat Thai food (mmmm!) and then found this cool bar on the river....with live music outside, house music inside, corn hole/volleyball, and LOTS of people! (kind of shocking since it was in the middle of nowhere). Dancing outside in the moonlight was awesome, and Amy and I really enjoy tearing up the dance floor...even when we're the only 2 out there :)

On Sunday after I got home from church, and a lunch of sushi and cherries, we relaxed on the couch. Amy mentioned how cool it would be to ride a hot air balloon (I know, we're a little random sometimes). She reminded me of the hot air balloon race I randomly saw last year outside of Danville...I had shown her the pictures. I said, "Oh yeah, they usually have that festival in June; I totally forgot." I got out my laptop to look it up....miraculously, the festival was THIS weekend in Danville! So, we headed to my favorite little Kentucky town for the Great American Brass Band Festival. After napping on the lawn at Centre College for a few hours and listening to the bands, we went to get a drink at the coffee shop. Then we headed out to watch the Great American Balloon Race. SO COOL! My next goal is to ride one some day. The weather was awesome--70's and no humidity. What a great way to finish out the weekend!

I'm going to miss my sister so much when she leaves, mostly because I know she's always up for any adventure and it gives me someone to do things with...no matter how crazy! Our next adventure...sky-diving in a couple of weeks! Holla!

***Also, I had trouble uploading pictures, plus Amy's camera (with most of them) was lost over the weekend. When it is found, I'll add them!***

2 comments:

Kim said...

Ahhh the Kentucky Theatre... fond memories.

And that weekend sounds like so much fun! I miss Kentucky... and you!

StaciLynn said...

Aww, I love this!!! Sounds like an amazing weekend :) I love the Danville festival!! So awesome you got to go again :)