I took the day off on Friday since I worked at the Ichthus Music Festival. I love it when I have a random weekday off; it feels like the day is all yours because you are secretly on your own while everyone else is working. My roommate is also out of town so I had the place all to myself....I did the usual "Saturday" activities....slept in, made pancakes for breakfast, and began my laundry while watching television and catching up on emails. I checked a few other things off my to-do list, but realized the day was going to be mostly mine...I didn't want to go shopping or really do anything that involved money; plus it was raining. So, I decided to start a project that has been put off for, well, years.
When I finished college, I moved on my own for the first time and began collecting recipes and cookbooks. Very slowly at first. Grad school didn't afford me alot of time to cook or many pot-luck events, so I made do with a few recipes. Then, as I moved into the real world in NC, I again decided I would try cooking a few things. I got the basics down-pat...you know, pasta/vegetables, maybe a casserole now and then. And desserts have always been my favorite thing to make. So I could handle a good Southern dessert. Then, as a volunteer, I somehow stockpiled many, many more recipes...from the internet, friends, family, and other volunteers. It was the first time I was able (or forced) to cook for a large group, and I am so thankful for that experience because now I am much more knowledgeable and confident in the kitchen. And, often, especially on days like today, I really enjoy cooking. Now, as I am again on my own and cooking for one, I have been more selective in dishes that I make.....trying to keep them filled with more vegetables, less meat, and definitely healthier. I subscribe to several blogs and often end up saving or printing recipes that I come across, in hopes of trying them.
I recently realized this habit had gotten completely out of control. My shelf with cookbooks is filled with a small binder I started as a volunteer and since 2008, I have literally just stuck random recipes in it....not in sleeves or hole-punched, just wherever. Then I had just begun piling them on top of it. I have also saved magazines that have recipes and just kept them on top of that. I do have a small index card container with recipes, which was my only real form of organization in this area of my life, but I made that in college, so they are my family's recipes from home, not ones I've compiled since then (and, you know, that was a long time ago).
SO.....
I sat on the floor...pulled out all my recipes, threw ones I will never make into recycling... and made piles of recipes by category (appetizer, main dish, dessert, etc)...made a trip to Walmart for a binder and sheet protectors as well as dividing tabs (found out now it was quite sunny and hot!)...pulled out my pretty card-making paper, glue, and scissors...turned on Pandora and grabbed an Ale-8 for a caffeinated pick-me-up...and got to work.
Many of my recipes are not the typical 8 1/2 x 11, so I combined smaller clippings and put all neatly in sheet protectors. I made labels for each section and for the front. Each tab also has pockets, which is helpful for random sheets of paper that I need to save before putting in the correct spot. I debated organizing electronically, but decided that since having a binder is safer and cleaner than having a laptop in the kitchen, I'd go with that. Plus, the thought of re-typing so many recipes was just too daunting. I also went through every magazine...at least 10...and cut out the recipes I would actually use, getting rid of all the magazines (so much better than looking through a magazine every time you need a recipe!).

And, hours later and after finding a recipe for dinner....here's the finished product (yay!!):
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago

1 comments:
That looks so good! I think I may copy you on one of my many days off...
Post a Comment