Hi readers!
Tomorrow is my roommate's birthday. So over the weekend I asked her what her birthday plans were. Then she said, "oh, what day is it?" WHAT?! I asked her if she was celebrating or if her family made a big deal of that special day. She said, no, that usually it might include dinner and maybe some gifts. I told her that birthdays were kind of a big deal for me so I was going to-at least-make her a cake. She said that was ok. (Plus, that means I get to eat some!) That reminded me of how my boss's husband forgot that it was his birthday last week. I just cannot fathom this. I went on to share with her my feelings birthdays (and that next week is my half-birthday)...you know, in case she was interested. I went on to blame this on my parents' grand celebration of birthdays in our family (which I'm sure had very little to do with the development of my love for my birthday). So, here are the real reasons I celebrate (and why you should!):
1. It's one day out of the whole year that you can actually be somewhat selfish and celebrate yourself. Enough said.
2. Cake-any kind you want with no regrets.
3. It's like a personal holiday (and since my birthday is close to Christmas, I enjoy a day when I'm the only one getting gifts!). Hey, even if you have to work, you still get to celebrate with other people (hopefully!).
4. It feels like a new beginning, because it really is a new year....for you. I write new ideas and goals, along with accomplishments of the year, every year in my journal (and I'm not good at being a consistent journal writer, so that's kind of impressive).
5. This year, it gave me a chance to do a "30 before 30" list. I recommend it. Get out of your comfort zone. Complete goals.
6. It gives you an excuse to party and have fun...and you get to decide what to do and where to go!
7. Hopefully, you hear from all your friends and family. Some of my friends are not the greatest at staying in touch, but I know I'll always hear from them on my special day.
8. Go out to eat to your favorite restaurant...or go to all of your favorites. There's 3 meals in one day.
9. You get mail.
10. Celebrate while you can; someday you may have too many birthdays to count.
...and as a side note, I also love other holidays....Independence Day is one of my favorites! I just love that it's a summer holiday where there are so many options for being outside...grilling, swimming, playing yard games, etc. I remember our family's tradition of bbq and home-made ice cream....followed by swimming and playing croquet (ironically, the only time of the year when we played). And FIREWORKS (hmm, maybe that could be an idea for my next birthday)!! Have fun this weekend!
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
1 comments:
I agree with you about birthdays!!!! It is your day to celebrate!
Post a Comment