CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

September 7, 2011

Cali 2011

Beach in southern CA
Well, I just got back from over a week in California. I spent half of my time in southern CA--in the desert for a couple of days and then in the LA area, to make some contacts for work. Then, I flew up to the Bay area, as well as went to a wedding in wine country. Instead of giving you a complete description of everything I did, instead I'll just hit on my highlights from the trip...

Best weather-Well, the folks in SF would probably disagree, but it was a little windy and cold there for me. But the LA area was great!! I had to laugh when the folks in Hesperia (desert) said it was a little humid for them. I didn't feel any humidity at all!

Most profitable work contact-- I visited a church in the "High Desert" (in between LA and Las Vegas), mainly because they financially support CAP each month, yet have never been here. Turns out, the pastor's wife grew up less than an hour from where I did. Small world! This church is SO generous and welcoming, despite their very small size. AND- I actually "preached" (aka, spoke during the sermon time) for their Sunday service. It was overall a good experience, despite the temp of 107 degrees!

Favorite new friend-I reconnected with a lady who is on staff at a prominent church south of LA. She had found CAP on the internet and visited us over the summer. Despite her busy schedule, she took me all around and showed me all the nice and exclusive beaches after our meeting with the church staff. And we got to see a center for seal rehabilitation, after they are rescued. I feel we have a kindred spirit and I love her example of genuine passion for helping others.

Best reconnection-I was so thankful my friend Jessica came all the way from Tijuana to see me! It was so nice not to spend the night alone in the hotel and have a dinner date.
Tree at Muir Woods (tallest Redwood trees)
And, I had a great visit with my little sister, Angie. She goes to seminary in Mill Valley which is north of San Francisco. It was a beautiful setting and it was nice to really see her life there. Plus, it was just good to have some sister-time there in her town and in the city. She took me around to some of the best parts of the city, which I greatly appreciated.
Angie and me at Golden Gate
As an added bonus, I reconnected with my friend Mike from grad school. We went to our friend, Jamie's, wedding together. Since we didn't know anyone else there, it was nice that we both were there! The wedding was gorgeous, right in the middle of a winery and we had a great time! Then, we were able to go to San Francisco the next day and drink lots of tea in Chinatown! (I think we spent over an hour tea-tasting, but it was great!).

Jamie's wedding in Healdsburg, CA
Best space for networking and learning-I went to a workshop based on the material from the book, "When Helping Hurts." This book was challenging for me, but such a good place to start conversation and changes at work. I hope I can implement at least one thing from what I heard. And if you work with low-income people AT ALL, you should read it.

Best landmarks/tourist attractions--OK, I really couldn't pick one for this....Muir Woods, Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown in SF, the SF mission...to name a few.
Mission in SF

Then, I came home to weather that is just as chilly as there! What?!

Well, off to repack for Emily's wedding this weekend in St. Louis! 


1 comments:

Kim said...

It looks like you had so much fun! I think you need to talk to Sr. Robbie and tell her about all the work you need to be doing in Colorado :)