Over the past couple of weeks, I've traveled to several cities. Since living in downtown (or Uptown) Charlotte and then moving directly to rural eastern Kentucky, I occasionally miss things in "the city" and wish I had access to things that I don't here. Fortunately, I was able to spend some time in downtown Nashville, LA, downtown San Francisco, and downtown St. Louis. It was really nice to be able to walk around these areas and to feel the culture of the city through the restaurants, traffic, buildings, and diversity of people. Here are some of the things I miss:
- ethnic restaurants and bakeries---really just eating and drinking in general...and the variety
- random people on the street
- shopping venues
- nightlife
- tourists
- culture--dancing, art, museums, theatre/music, etc.
- sporting events
- walking on the sidewalk (this is not a given in little towns)
- attractions and architecture unique to each city
- the people and the sounds
I could probably list the things I don't like (like traffic, crime, and parking garages), and I'd be much more thankful for my little town. But, as I was walking around in San Francisco, I realized I really didn't have a right to complain. Much of these things are available (although perhaps on a different scale) in my own region. Lexington is an easy 40-min drive and, though not a major city, still has opportunities that I do not take advantage of. So, I decided that along with some other goals, I need to incorporate some activity that "feels" like the city at least once a month. Because sometimes you have to go get the things you don't have, and be thankful for what you do.
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment