CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

September 14, 2011

Wedding #4

Last weekend (9-10-11) was my final wedding (that I know of!) of 2011. (Staci, I wish I could make it to yours next month-I'll be there in spirit!). This is the 3rd wedding this year that I've had the honor of standing by the bride as she makes her vows. Despite the expense, time, and preparation that goes into a wedding, I truly am blessed to not just have good friends, but really close relationships with women who love me enough to have me stand beside them on one of the most important days of their lives. And, good news, in a few years, I probably won't have to worry about being in weddings anymore--this is just the season I am in for now.

All that to say, this wedding was really fun! Emily is a friend I've known since kindergarten, and, as I recall, one who I especially bonded with in 4th grade when we were co-teacher's pets. Since then, we've remained very close. In high school, we did almost everything together, even dressing as one another on "Twin Day" (I think her 5'11" vs. my 5'3" height might have given us away!). And despite the distance, we see each other a couple of times a year (along with my other "Paris friends," Cortney and Fawn). And I have NEVER seen her as happy as the weekend--her husband, Clay, is a sickeningly perfect match for her.

The weekend started with my arrival on Thursday evening to St. Louis. I spent the night meeting some of Clay's friends and groomsmen over dinner and spent the night at Em's house. I was really glad we got to have a little down-time before the craziness of Friday and Saturday. And I got to see her sweet cats!! (I know you're rolling your eyes, but they are really sweet and cute, and I miss having a cat around. They love me! Proof: I woke up with one sleeping on my pillow). Em left early the next morning for the salon, so I got to hang out with one of her friends from college, and then have lunch with one of my friends from college who lives in St. Louis. Then, off to check in to the hotel and get ready for the night.

The 4 of us at the rehearsal dinner
Our rehearsal went off smoothly, so then we headed to a wine bar restaurant downtown for the dinner. After appetizers, we watched a video Emily and Clay had put together (with some professional help!). We decided it would be a perfect advertisement for two people falling in love in the city of St. Louis....or an e-Harmony commercial (even though this is not how they met!). And, of course, we saw a few of the infamous baby/childhood pictures. Then, upstairs for a lovely dinner filled with a time of speeches and well wishes for the bride and groom. Plus, we had our own little "Paris" table--4 bridesmaids from home and their men.

All of the Paris girls
My favorite part of the night and of the wedding day was actually getting to reconnect with some of the people I grew up with in Paris(and, of course, a few of my closest girlfriends!). Since my parents moved away in 2000, I don't often get back to Paris and when I do, it's just to pass through. There were several couples around my parents' age, many of who lived in my neighborhood (because my 'hood was awesome!), who seemed so genuinely happy to see me and ask how I was, what I was doing, etc. In fact, one "dad" who lived a couple houses down from us, came up and reminisced on the time I scored the winning goal our senior year in the regional finals. I couldn't believe someone remembered this--I was really touched! (...because like Miranda Lambert sings, "Everybody dies famous in a small town.")

The wedding day began at 2:00 when we had to all be ready for a trip to the church to take pictures. We were provided with transportation (and drinks and snacks!) in a trolley to the "Soulard" area of town. The church was beautiful, but because they had an evening service, we took most of the pictures around the local architecture, on the street, and in a back garden. Then, back to the trolley, before I had to don my heels one more time for the walk down the aisle. The wedding was at 6:30 and boasted quite a crowd. I was excited not to slip or fall down the aisle (we had to walk halfway down alone and the groomsman came from the front to meet us). And Em and Clay had a beautiful ceremony, ending with a little happy bounce from Emily after their kiss.

The reception was back at the hotel with a full night of food and dancing. I enjoyed all of that :) Best of all, I caught the bouquet (I think this is my 3rd), so maybe this bodes well for the future! I said good-bye to Emily and Clay at the after-party (on the roof with an awesome skyline view). The next morning, after breakfast and good-byes to Fawn and Ian (my next wedding in April-yay!), Cortney agreed to accompany me to the Arch and we got to go to the top of this National Monument. It was a beautiful day and it's really worth it to go to the top and see the views of the city. Good times.
Catching the bouquet!

0 comments: