This season is one of giving. Although we all should give as freely the rest of the year, it's often easier to find ways to give during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. I guess it brings out the generosity in all of us. I thought I'd share two of the charities I am giving to....in case you want to as well. And, of course, there's always the organization I work for as a worthy cause to support, too!
Compassion International- I've known about Compassion for a long time, but just never took the jump to commit to a monthly payment for a child. Last month, I chose to sponsor a child from El Salvador. It's only $38 a month to sponsor a child which provides medical, educational, and nutritional help. They use well-established services, like churches and schools, as avenues for help. Plus, I get to contact my child through letters and pictures. I really enjoy getting and sending mail, so that's a plus! I'm hoping to visit her some day when I'm back in El Salvador.
Operation Christmas Child- I just finished putting together my shoe boxes! This is one of the easiest and most affordable ways to help children across the world get a small Christmas gift, and is a branch of the very reputable Samaritan's Purse organization. This year I saved most of my shoe boxes for this. You pack the box with hygiene items and toys and that's it-plus $7 to help with shipping if you can! This is such a widespread program that there are drop-off sites everywhere. You can even track your box online to see what country it ends up in. Oh, and National Collection Week is next week (Nov. 14-21) so you better get on it!
This last weekend I was a part of the Festival of Faiths in Louisville. It was an excellent place for networking and getting the name out about our organization's work. But, more importantly, it was an effort to unite people of faith under similar causes, in particular that of creation care (this year's theme was "Sacred Air"). I was really inspired and reminded to continue to look for ways personally, professionally, and just as a citizen to come together on such important issues that affect the entire world.
May we all give back!
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment