CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

February 27, 2012

Day 5: Gospel Music

I grew up in a Southern Baptist church. We sang mostly hymns from "The Baptist Hymnal." It's actually a very comprehensive hymn book, regardless of your denomination, and I love the hymns in it. I used to know mnay of my favorites by their page numbers! But since then, I've mostly gone to churches that worship with "contemporary" music (although that's a pretty broad category), which I also enjoy.

Today I was helping unload a semi-trailer at one of our camps in preparation for our WorkFest next week. After we finished (and were worn out!), we were enjoying the beautiful day and decided to go see the new piano at this camp. We recently received this used piano from a donation, so we were excited to see it. One of my co-workers has a beautiful voice and plays by ear; she often sings at a few of our events, as well as in several area churches. She asked if we could go down and see the piano, and we agreed with the condition she'd play a song for us. When we got there, I saw "The Baptist Hymnal" sitting on the piano! So we all gathered around to pick out some of the songs--I truly loved remembering songs from my childhood and I love so many of the hymns in that book. It was a nice break from our hard work....I love that we all came together...some who knew the hymns, some who did not sing those songs in their churches, and come together in unity and worship. Beautiful.

0 comments: