CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

March 15, 2012

Day 19 & 20

Yesterday and today I traveled to the other camp where they are also doing WorkFest, and today in Johnson County where we have teams of volunteers helping the tornado victims. I can tell you I came away very thankful for all the students and other volunteers from all over the country who are there to help, and for being spared. Although I had seen pictures, I had not seen the damage first-hand from the storms on March 2. Seeing the trees along the highway completely bent sideways and the devastation in Salyersville (one of the hardest hit towns) was absolutely shocking...just the change in the complete landscape. (I took pictures from my car, but they are not good, and it really is just so different in person).

I helped a lady today (I hadn't intended on staying, but stayed for about 4 hours) try to find a generator so her family of 4, including a toddler, could stay in a loaned camper, until they find permanent housing. She lost EVERYTHING in the storm--she had run next door and actually watched her trailer get completely blown away. The house she was in was moved several feet off the foundation. We went to Lowe's, then were referred to Emergency Management then to Red Cross (who had just arrived today to this county), where we waited for over an hour just to find out they couldn't help with a generator. She was very patient through all this as she's been doing this for days, I however was not! By the time I left, I made sure the fire department was going to follow-up and loan them a generator (hopefully!). I heard other stories of families who huddled around fires of burning debris just to stay warm after the storms, as they literally had nothing left. (We had a freak snow 2 days after the storms and 70-degree weather). And this for people who had very little to start with. Thankfully, the people of eastern Kentucky are helping one another, as they always do. May we all be thankful for protection and all we have.

Also, I am heading to Ft. Lauderdale for my friend, Fawn's, bachelorette weekend!! I will not be blogging, but I can tell you I am very thankful for a short trip away to the sunny beach!!

0 comments: