CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

April 30, 2012

Weekend in West Tennessee....

Yes, in Tennessee, we have west, middle, and east (hence the 3 stars in the state flag). If you are from there, you will probably specify what part you are from. Unless you are from an actual city (Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, or Chattanooga), I suppose...

But not only am I from this agricultural part of the state, I also am from the "Home of the World's Biggest Fish Fry" (not largest, or any other synonym, or you will be promptly corrected). This usually means very little to me, but since I was headed for a road trip to Tennessee on the same weekend as the "Fish Fry," I thought it only fitting to visit my hometown of Paris for some festival action and fish. I was not disappointed!

I started my weekend by getting there just in time for the rodeo on Thursday Night. Sadly, my camera refused to take action shots of the cowboys and bull-riding (clearly, it was mostly the cowboys I was after), but I enjoyed my evening and met some new friends. (Plus, I love rodeos!) I met up with Ms. Connie (my friend Emily's mom) and her crew of friends (in from out of town-and state- for the Fish Fry). I stayed at their house and was greeted with the same hospitality that I remember from all my high school nights I spent in their home. (How I took that for granted....)

The next morning we had to get up bright-and-early for the Grand Parade (yes, in small towns, it is "Grand."). The parade doesn't start until 10 am, but you have to get there early to get a good spot on the parade route....some people actually reserve their spots the evening before (I think after midnight you can). Yes, it actually is that big of a deal. It was quite chilly so I waited in the car, until it was time for the parade to begin...

...but, no worries, we were protected by this guy, as apparently it's perfectly legal to wear a gun on your belt loop in the middle of town....
Here's the crew....(Side note: I have to smile at this. I remember when I was in school, spending much thought and care as to the outfit I would wear for the parade. My friends and I, along with most teens, spent the whole parade, walking up and down the parade route to see who was there and who was with who....oh man, how times have changed!)
We saw small-town beauty queens.....
...small tots with tiaras...

...football teams (ours won STATE last year which is a BIG deal so they got a BIG semi)...


fire trucks and bulldozers, bands and color guards, even one car announcing "Paris now has 3G service"...


After the parade, we headed to the fairgrounds to eat some fish at the "fish tent" (actually an enclosed building now)....where they served over 7,000 meals over the weekend...
The walls were decorated with posters from local elementary students (yes, I remember making one years ago!)...
and after over an hour wait in line...we got our plates of fried food....so good!!....(don't judge)...
Then, my favorite part, we rode some carnival rides....
...with my (new) friend Patsy who was as fearless as me!
(apparently, I was the only one who thought it would be fun to raise my feet throughout the ride, AND notice the boredom of the kids to my left, compared to my excitement, can't you just hear the screams??)...

The WBFF was even more fun than I remember, especially since I appreciate its charm so much more now...
More to come on the rest of my weekend....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this post Jenny! I knew you and Patsy would get along...to use some of her terms.. 'She's a HOOT!" I'm so glad you had a good time with my family. I wish I could have joined you.

Kim said...

Are those brown Toms I spy you wearing? I have the same pair. We are two peas in a pod :O)