I have been so lucky to see several of my close friends this summer- some more than once. Last weekend, my good friend Kelly got married. Kelly and I worked together when I was a volunteer at CAP. I think we talked on the phone almost every day (we were in different counties) as we got through our adventures as caseworkers in our program. Since she left Kentucky, we have still been able to maintain our close friendship, even though our phone calls are usually weekly instead of daily. It's one of my favorite things about Kelly-the fact that she is so thoughtful and consistent as a friend. I've been excited about her wedding for a few reasons: a) Her now-husband Steve and her are such a great couple and have been so intentional at keeping God at the center. b)I got to visit Chicago. c)It meant a few days with a few of my other CAP friends for a mini vacation/reunion.
The weekend did not disappoint.
My manager and I drove up together on Thursday, and we were able to stay with a former volunteer who lives in the city--so we had a little venture into the city for some deep-dish pizza at Due's. We ended up getting a little lost in our walk to the restaurant, plus the time difference, so I was beyond hungry when we finally got our vegetable pizza (plus my problem with eating every couple of hours regularly!). I think I complained that I was going to faint a few times along the way--maybe a bit of an exaggeration. But the pizza was awesome, so I forgave our leader for getting us lost.
On Friday, I drove out to the suburbs and also made airport runs to pick up my friends Kim, Jessica, and Allen. When Kim and I went to get Jess and Allen, we had to use a few tollways. I was prepared for tolls by making sure I had cash on me, as most of my toll-paying experience has been with a person there to give my money to. Needless to say, we did not realize that these tolls were coins-only and unattended...and that meant the need to have $1.50 in coins. Who has that?! Now Kim and I are rule-abiding citizens so you can imagine our discomfort with the fact that our only choice was to drive through multiple toll booths and not pay. (Fortunately, I was able to take care of this by paying online, which eased my fears.)
| Me, Jess, & Kim after Rehearsal Dinner |
At the rehearsal dinner (which thanks to multiple GPS's we eventually made it to), we shared a wonderful Tapas meal and met some of Steve's relatives at our table. This is one of my favorite things about weddings....how it brings two families and hosts of other friends together. I look forward to the day when all the important people in my life are able to join together for such a meaningful celebration and beginning. Steve's aunt and uncle were so charming and welcoming, so it was a joy to make their acquaintance and friendship.
On Saturday, we had a lazy morning of a long breakfast (just the four of us!), a trip to the mall (thankfully just across the street) to find Allen some appropriate wedding attire (see above), and then we got ready and headed to the wedding. It was a wonderful ceremony and mass and the reception was alot of fun. Kelly had thoughtfully given our "Kentucky table" a little something extra: a bottle of Ale-8 at each of our settings (Ale-8 is a Kentucky-made soft drink, similar to ginger ale). We were so excited!! As I think back to this day, I cannot believe how much food I consumed. Thankfully, we all got quite a bit of exercise on the dance floor :).
| Ale-8's! |
| The whole CAP crew (clockwise from top left): Kim, Harley (Ann's husband), me, Ann, Allen, Jess, Kelly, and Robyn) |
Sunday included good-byes to Jessica and Allen at the train station, and Kim and I had a quick trip into the city to visit my friend Mike and his girlfriend. We successfully figured out our train routes and enjoyed the jazz festival downtown, as well as catching up with Mike. Then, we got back to our hotel to meet our new friends (the groom's family) for an Italian dinner at Buca di Beppo's. It made me so happy to spend time with this friendly and welcoming family, because I know Kelly will now be a part of it. How thoughtful and generous to invite three people you just met to your family's dinner! It was such an appropriate way to end the weekend.
| waiting on the Metra! |
1 comments:
It meant so much to me to have you all there! Thank you for everything. It certainly was one amazing weekend!!!
Post a Comment