CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

September 12, 2012

Why I Love Groupons

Over the weekend, Erin and I decided to use a Groupon we had been saving for a long time. We scheduled a climbing adventure with Kentucky Rock and Adventure Guides. Here's why:

Several years ago, when I lived in Charlotte, I went to an indoor rock-climbing gym with a friend. I remember how my friend's enthusiasm inspired me to want to try it. However, I quickly realized that it was not as easy as it looks. The footholds and handholds (I have no idea if this is the correct term) are often incredibly small and, of course, difficult to maneuver, despite what you see on commercials. Also, you sweat and IT IS HARD. But, the part I remember the most is when I got to the top. I know what you're thinking--because it was an amazing feeling of accomplishment; the view from the top is way better than from below; I had mastered my fear; the feeling of satisfaction......But, none of that comes to my memory. Instead, I remember my melt-down. I was so proud of getting to the top, and then my friend explained how to get down...just lean back and let yourself fall slowly while controlling yourself with your feet (or something like that). I was having none of it. I was almost to the point of tears and sweat was pouring down my body (like a mild panic attack). That's when I realized that although I have no fear of heights, I do have a fear of falling. I just could not let myself do it. So, in the end, she SLOWLY helped me down the wall to the bottom, where I refused to ever go up again.

But, since that time, I have done alot of things that are quite out of my comfort zone. That's why I did a "30 before 30" list. So, when I saw this Groupon earlier in the year, I knew this was a chance to conquer another fear. So, I convinced Erin to join me in a day of climbing. My goal was and is not to become a climber. I just wanted to do it...and do so without fear.

Unfortunately, when we checked the weather the night before, it was 100% chance of thunderstorms on Saturday. I'm not sure if you've heard about Kentucky, but our t-storms are legit. So, I spoke to the guide who was willing to reschedule. I was picturing myself seeing lightning all around and sliding down a mountain along with the rain. At the last minute (like 9:30 pm), he texted that there was a place that would remain dry and we could climb there. (Again, I could not picture how there would be dry outdoor areas with 100% chance....did you see the forecast, sir?)

 But, the next morning, we left our apartment around 7:30 to head to the Gorge area. When we got to the campground meeting area, it was POURING THE RAIN (as they say in KY). Erin and I made a million faces and judgments, and expressed our nervousness, but met our kind guide, Isaac. He assured us we would have alot of fun and that he really enjoyed teaching others to climb. He had tattoos covering his body and was quite tall with dark hair and eyes, but was super cool, laid-back, and a great conversationalist. And he was super knowledgeable about climbing, safety, the area....and well, alot of other things. He took us to the parking area, then told us we'd all get into his truck (did I mention there were 5 of us?). He then took us down a curvy, gravel road, where even is 4WD truck couldn't make all the turns, and we made it down to the base of Muir Valley, a privately-owned area open to climbers, and which we later realized is quite the popular hotspot in the Gorge.

Erin and I posing in our gear

It was a gorgeous (pun intended) area. And though the short trek to the cliff line was very muddy, we were relieved to arrive at our climbing spot and see that it was indeed dry (the trees and rocks at the top blocked most of the rain) and that other groups were beginning to gather. Our guide began explaining that he was going to get our route ready by climbing up and that Erin and I were responsible for "belaying" him (no biggie, just me and Erin here to control whether you fall a few feet or all the way to the ground. No pressure). But, fortunately, another experienced climber took it upon himself to "show" us how to do it--by snapping his fingers in my face to get my attention and instructing me step-by-step. When our fearless leader, Isaac, got down, he was a little peeved about this (I probably didn't help the situation by telling him about the finger-wagging), but, don't worry, he said he'd "take care of it later." (Inside, I kind of loved how he took care of us, his little beginners.)

The other couple took their turns and did quite well (despite our initial judgments, we realized they were a little more experienced than us, and made it look quite easy). Erin volunteered to go next, which was good, because I was so nervous. I didn't want to freeze and not make it down, and it was really up to me to make it up with only the verbal guidance from our guide (and his occasional lift to get us to the next spot!). And then I was afraid that the short length of my legs might be a hindrance. (You're supposed to mostly use the strength of your legs which is somewhat counter intuitive). After seeing and hearing Erin's frustrations about how difficult it was (though she made it up just fine), I was just hoping I'd make it to the top at all. But, enough excuses. After Erin made it down safely, it was my turn.
Here's what happened:


                                      
Do you see the thumbs-up?
And I made it to the top....on two different climbs around 50 ft or more!! More importantly, I even made it down with no problems both times, listening to Isaac telling me to "trust the system." (so much spiritual symbolism here--aren't you glad God has us when we're trying to make it up a tough climb and when it seems like we're just falling to the ground....?)

All that to say, I had a great time. I love that Groupon offered me the affordability to try something that was a little out of my comfort zone. I got one of the best workouts I've ever had and it was so much fun. I'd definitely do it again. Plus, I got over my fear, which was what this was all about.

What new thing can you take a chance and try??



0 comments: