If you haven't read the first post on my trip, you can go to the previous post here.
So, on Tuesday, I still didn't feel great, although that was possibly multiplied by the fact that we had to leave the house at 4:30 am. Why, you ask? (I must add that Ginger and Ramfis got much less sleep than me, so I should not complain).
Well, because Gino is so cute and well-behaved. See?
| at the beach |
| Sitting around during the filming- I didn't feel very well :( |
Wednesday, I had arranged to visit the girl who I sponsor through Compassion. Miraculously, I felt so much better this day for the first time (which I know was from God, because on Thursday during my flights home, I had stomach pain again). We had gotten an itinerary, which included a site visit and home visit, but honestly I didn't know what to expect. My fear was that the translator and the large amount of time blocked for each visit would be too much and that the relationship would seem forced, since essentially all I am is someone who gives a little money each month and occasionally writes letters. I wasn't sure that there would be a real connection between Katherine (my sponsored child) and myself since we don't communicate through language and our cultures and lifestyles are so vastly different.
But you know, some forms of communication and relationships transcend language and cultural barriers.
This day was truly one of the highlights of my trip.
I was overwhelmed by the genuine welcome and appreciation shown to me by the staff of the center and each child who gave me a hug. They had planned the entire day around my visit--they sang for me, did a skit for me, baked for us, gave us gifts, and each teacher gave us a detailed explanation of what happens in their classroom....much of what is teaching the children to learn and appreciate the Bible and worship.
And during the entire tour of the facility, from the classrooms to the baking area where they teach the practical skill of making sweet bread (a popular afternoon snack sold in El Salvador) to the cafeteria, to the new playroom, Katherine sat by me and held my hand.
They had waited to open the new playroom (with a ping pong table and foosball), so that I could have the privilege of cutting the ribbon...and I got to play the first ping pong game!
And they began and ended the day by praying for me.... (and of course I cried a little!).
I also spent time visiting Katherine's home, where she lives with 11 other people. Under a grandfather who doesn't want them there. Her mother gets only $30 in child support (El Salvador uses American currency, which has subsequently hurt their economy as the cost of many items are similar to ours, yet income is much lower), and wants a home of her own. She and the children all share one room, and they haven't had running water in over a month.
It was such a honor to get to hear her mother's prayer concerns and pray over them after lunch. To encourage Katherine to continue to stay healthy (Compassion also provides regular medical checkups) and do well in her studies. To take them out to eat to a restaurant they could probably never afford or get to visit.
I cannot say enough about how impressed I was with Compassion's work and their openness about how the money is used in this project. They work directly with the local church and the staff comes from the church (so it's all local), while everything is monitored by the country's Compassion office. Ginger, who has lived in ES for 6 years including time in a rural village, was so impressed by how different these children acted than the average child she met in the country, and how their actions and the staff's genuineness were quite opposite to the cultural norms of the country. Plus, we both LOVED the director and her love for the children and those around her was so transparent!
| The Compassion staff person and translator (in red), and the director. The boy on the end will go to college after finishing the program this year! |
Katherine's mom even spoke about how much she is learning from her daughter and how her own faith has grown! Though I try to write letters regularly, I know that this visit will strengthen my understanding of Katherine's situation and our relationship as we write to one another and pray.
I decided to sponsor a child after visiting my sister and her seeing letters from her sponsored child. She was in seminary at the time, so I know that is was a sacrifice to pay each month. Since I had just gotten a regular job again (after volunteering), I knew it was something I could do to support a child living in a third-world country, and had heard alot about Compassion in the past. I can honestly say that the $38 I pay every month is not always easy to see come out of my bank account, but I know that it is making a difference for a child in ways that I cannot imagine. I have no idea what it's like to live in a place where going to college and getting a job that will pull my family out of poverty seems impossible. So if I can help a child learn about the hope that Christ provides and help provide education and medical services for the family, through the staff of Compassion, I'll do it.
After our return home, and our animated conversation about our visit, Ginger and I decided to end our time together with a quick visit to the beach to hang out and watch the sunset. It was so beautiful and relaxing, and a perfect ending to a wonderful day and vacation.
0 comments:
Post a Comment