As most of you know, tomorrow is the beginning of Lent. This year, I've had all kinds of ideas float through my head in regard to what to do, give up, read, etc. during Lent. This week, as I've been frantically catching up with my online class, work, church, and personal stuff since getting back, I just have been struggling with what to DO, and desperate to have a great idea by tomorrow. Last night, I had a few minutes before I went to bed, so I got out my journal (truly the best way for me to actually think). I had read this earlier in the evening, when I was looking for a devotional, so it was on my mind.
And then I realized that God doesn't want me to stress out about what rules I'm going to set for myself for Lent---dietary, personal, whatever. It's not about the rules, it's about the heart. He just wants me to try to be more like him. To focus on the sacrifice He made, and live in a way that honors it. So, I thought about the New Year's Resolutions I made (complain less, love more, talk to God more), which is a good place to start. And God has been reminding me of some behaviors and attitudes that I need to work on. Another good idea.
So, that's it. I'm not going to focus on giving up this year. I'm going to focus on where I want to be at Easter and what needs to change and what I need to do to get there. But I'm not going to be rigid about the rules. If I could just live out the verse I have posted on my wall, that would be enough.
"May my life be a credit to you, Lord; and what's more, may I continue to delight You by doing every good work and growing in the true knowledge that comes from being close to You.
-Col 1:10, The Voice
So, I'm going to keep it between me and God...going to spend more time with Him over the next 40 days, and hopefully make some needed changes. I do hope to read the book, Seven, by Jen Hatmaker. I've been looking forward to it. And I hope to continue the tradition from last year, and post on my blog each day in regard to the blessings and sightings of God that I encounter (that'll surely help me complain less!). Please join me.
So, what are you doing for Lent?
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
1 comments:
Love the pictures from El Salvador and Ginger looks great. I'm glad you had a wonderful time. That zip line looks really exciting! Sounds like you're doing great and enjoying life and all that it has to offer. Yes Lent begins tomorrow and I am giving up sweets and trying to be a better person with the help of the Lord! Take care Jenny. Love you and miss you!
Post a Comment