The last two days I have been in McCreary County, which is home to Cumberland Falls State Park. I was training with a current volunteer who has the same position as me. She was so helpful as I was getting overwhelmed with the amount of information. It was nice to see her daily routine from her perspective. Then two of my roommates came down on Friday night to join us for the Strunk, Ky., rodeo. It was so fun, but rodeos always are!! Today we took a drive to Berea, Ky., which a very cute town about 20 min. away from where I live. This was for our weekly grocery run. I also got a library card (if you have any suggestions for books to read, let me know!).
I'm hoping this week to organize my office and get acquainted with the area a little more. We also have Christmas basket sign-ups in the morning each day, so that will keep me busy! And this week, I'm going to cook for the first time...we take turns cooking the meals for the house, and then we lead devotion after our meal. If you have recipes or ideas for meals, they'd be appreciated. I'm used to cooking for one, so this is quite different :).
So far, I am enjoying my time here. I'm getting adjusted to community life again. Appalachia is beautiful, and the people are so interesting to me. Most of the stereotypes are true and the area is definitely impoverished. I appreciate your prayers and not forgetting me as I get adjusted to my new life!
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
2 comments:
you left out all the comments about how you hate your two roommates :)
Post a Comment