CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

June 21, 2010

Hello Summer!

Over the weekend, one of my sisters flew in to check out CAP's volunteer opportunities. Since her arrival, she has done a terrific job of asking questions to find out all about what CAP is about, what we do, what life as a volunteer is like, what Appalachia is like, etc.... As I've answered her questions, I've realized how truly difficult it is to explain CAP and my life to those of you who aren't here. As one of my housemates always says, "People outside of CAP just don't get the CAP-thing." That being said, I wish you did!! Choosing to serve with CAP has been one of the best decisions of my life and I will forever be changed because of the time I've had here. And there's no way I can put that into words. But...I am often asked by those of you outside of CAP what I "do"...do I work every day? what about weekends? do you do home visits every day?? And I can't reply to those questions with just one answer, because I don't really have a "typical" day. However, I thought it'd be fun to recap what my day TODAY was like...because it was a pretty good day :).

First, I met Amy at 8 am to take her to her interview. We loaded a table to take down to the community center, then headed "up the hill" to the Volunteer Office. I absolutely LOVE the ladies who work there and am thankful that I live just down the road from their offices and can stop in from time to time. It always brightens my day to see them. Then, I headed to my office which is a 5-minute drive into town. I checked my desk calendar to see if I had any home visits or calls to make. I returned all my phone calls and e-mails (usually I wait until after 9:00 to make calls because I hate to wake people up...it's just awkward for all of us). During the months of June through August, my program is able to purchase 3 air conditioners for families who have medical issues. A couple of months ago, I had spoken to a lady who needed an air conditioner and she had her doctor fax me a medical note. When I got back to calling her (I had to wait until June), her number had been disconnected and I didn't have her address. So, I called the senior center that referred her and they told me the name of the trailer park where she lives with her husband. Unfortunately, many of the trailer parks are not marked with a name. I knew the highway the trailers were located on, but wasn't sure what cluster of trailers were the correct ones. But, I also had another home visit in that direction so I thought I might just stop by on the way back. AND, before that visit, I needed to stop by one of my lady's homes to drop off some pictures from the Women's Retreat. She's one of my favorite people (I think she first won my heart when I saw her in a bright convict-orange Tennessee Volunteers sweatshirt!), so I was looking forward to seeing her again. I stopped by and we chatted while we watched "The Price is Right." (By the way, I haven't seen this show in a while...did you know that Drew Carey is the host now? Weird! It's like a different show! And, yes, my friends who read this and are up on television news are probably laughing that I just found this information out!) Then, I was asking her about this trailer park. Of course, she knew the participant and gave me directions to find it. Unfortunately, the directions were:
Participant: "Go down past the garage and take a right after the 2-story house."
Me: "Do you know the name of that road on the right?"
Participant: "No, you'll see it, just turn by the 2-story. You'll see this building that used to be the furniture store. Make sure you turn right before it."
So, I smiled to myself thinking about how I often get these directions....building that USED to be something way before I was here, and roads that have no name, and landmarks that may or may not be accurate. But, somehow I always get there. Or get better directions and go back.
I said good-bye to my friend and headed to my next visit.

Speaking of directions, when I first went to this home, I ended up on a completely different road at a trailer surrounded by forest, beer bottles, and other questionable materials. Fortunately, no one was home and it wasn't the right home. Because, this family is really great. And I love going out to their home...it's the typical curvy, country roads with beautiful landscapes, not far from the river. They have a little girl about 4 who, on my first visit to her house, gave me flowers, two of her stuffed animals, and told me that she loved me. Their trailer burned about six months ago and they're trying to get into a new trailer. So, I'm helping them purchase some materials to get the electric hooked up. Today I was coming out to bring them a twin bed and mattress for their little girl. She was so excited! One of her sisters (who lives with the grandmother) was also there and when I got out of my truck they were sprinting to me to bring me clovers from the yard and a big hug. After we hauled (or "packed" as they say here) the furniture into their house, the girls tore into the packages of linens and other household items I brought. I also got the girls signed up for our School Readiness programs which will help them with school supplies and clothes. I left with promises of returning once they had painted the new bed pink to match the room she hopes will be Princess-themed. Hmm, I remember when I loved pink, too :)

Then, I was off to find the family in need of an air conditioner. I pulled into the cluster of unmarked trailers. I'm always so thankful I'm driving my big CAP truck. At least they know my intentions are good. I asked the couple sitting outside in the 90-degree weather if they knew this family. They didn't but pointed me down the "far left driveway" to another trailer where a new couple had moved in. And, it was them! I walked into the trailer to see an air conditioner blasting. I, of course, asked them if they were still in need of an air conditioner (clearly, not!), and they said yes. This one apparently doesn't work in a satisfactory manner. So, then I go traipsing around the property looking for the owner of the trailers. I had seen walk toward the "garage" (looked more like a junkyard of sorts) a few minutes before. Finally, I see him at the edge of the woods and introduced myself. He said they'd been complaining about it not working, but he had looked at it and it seemed to be working as well as it could for an older model. He also explained that typically these trailers did not come with any appliances. So, I went back to the nice couple and explained that I had a lengthy waiting list, but that I would consider all the needs and get back to them. As I filled out the paperwork, the man of the home (about 60 years old) was drawing a picture. Before I left, he asked me if I like to color. I was a little thrown off since I probably haven't colored for 20 years. But he had free-handed a beautiful picture of flowers shaped in a heart that honestly looked like it had been stenciled. I promised him I'd find some crayons and color it for him before I returned the next time. Regardless if we get them an air conditioner, I hope to return with my finished piece of art before my time is up!

When I returned to the office, I had received several phone calls many in reference to needing air conditioners...once you give one out, the word gets out fast around here! I also got to see my sister as she came to interview with my manager about a possible position in housing. I wrapped up my day and headed home to enjoy the weather and have dinner with several new housemates....we have recently begun eating dinner at my house which means there are only 5-6 people at the dinner table. I have to say this is a nice change and makes it easier to prepare meals!

Well, if you made it this far, thanks for reading! If not, that's ok.....I doubt I'll ever write an entry this long again! Happy first day of summer--it's hot!!

2 comments:

Kelly R. said...

Oh my gosh! Your post makes me want to run straight back to KY and volunteer for another year in Family Advocacy! Oh how I miss those stories. And nothing beats KY directions. Good times :-)

Kim said...

I still love the color pink...