CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

June 25, 2010

Trail-blazing

Over the past two days, I got to work here:
I know, I know, my life is pretty great! I was asked to lead a group of teenagers from Michigan to volunteer a couple of days doing some trail work at Flat Lick Falls. I had quite a bit of trepidation since I have little to no experience doing any kind of trailblazing or otherwise...my only experience is walking on such trails. But again and again, my work at CAP has taken me a little bit out of my comfort zone, and I have never regretted any of it. This week was no exception.

This area, referred to as Flat Lick (lick is a word often used to describe a creek or stream here), is in Gray Hawk, KY, which is about an hour from where I live. The county purchased this land about 2 years ago and is in the process of developing it so it can be used as a park for camping, hiking, swimming, etc. I had been once before to see the falls but didn't realize the magnitude and beauty of this area. The guy who is heading up this development project (he also has 4-5 guys working with him this summer) was more than willing to share his knowledge of the history of this area as well as show us the many projects they are working on....including clearing several trails, removing graffiti, and building bridges across the creek in several places. I feel like I spent more time hiking than working! (To several of the teenage girls, hiking up a steep hill was like putting in a day's work......haha, and we do this for fun!)

So, we loaded up my truck and I lead them down the gravel road to the dirt road to the beautiful Flat Lick area. We grabbed our tools....rakes, shovels, and loppers...and headed out with the guys to rake some trails. I honestly loved it. I forget how much I love to be outside...especially in the summer. And it's nice to get outside of the office and give these students a new experience. I guess I really take it for granted that I was encouraged to spend so much time outside when I was younger. I forget that many children these days are limited to playing on a playground or sports field. As we hiked through the forest and discussed the possibility of snakes and poison ivy, I realized how much I miss those childhood activities....blackberry-picking, trying to build bridges over the "ditch" or creek behind our house, hiking through the woods behind our house to the "secret field" (really just past that ominous "No Trespassing" sign), catching lightning bugs, canoeing and fishing with my dad, helping my parents in the garden....
I know, sorry, enough down memory lane, but I hope we all take a moment to remember the child inside of us...and appreciate it :).


2 comments:

Dee Dee said...

Absolutely beautiful! You are very lucky!

Alex D said...

did they clear out all the trees from the bottom of the falls? it looks like it's debris-free.