CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

July 25, 2010

Letting go...

Last week I welcomed a new volunteer to our staff. I really like her and she'll do a great job. But, her addition to our staff has been the most difficult for me to accept so far....because she's my replacement. And that means I have to let go of my responsibilities, my position, and my relationships in the community.....oh, and did I mention my truck? That's quite possibly the most difficult thing to let go. :)

This week I had my exit interview. This is a time to reflect on my service with CAP as a volunteer and give feedback to the volunteer manager and my program manager. My service in Family Advocacy was, without a doubt, the perfect fit for me, as was my placement in Rockcastle County. I have learned so much about myself and how to work with other people through my job and within the community where I live. I have had times where I felt very confident in my job and times when I had no idea what to say to the participant on the phone. I have had deep, meaningful conversations with my housemates and times when I was so frustrated with them I wanted to pack up my things and leave. I have had countless times when I marveled at the beauty of this area and my ability to feel God's presence here. And I have had times when all I wanted to do was be able to walk to the mall or to a coffee shop, but realized that driving an hour to do so would be a waste of time and money.

And I am so thankful for the things I have learned here....that ultimately all that matters are our relationships with God and people. I am thankful for a place where most of my time here is spent on just that...relationships. Not going to the next meeting. Or accomplishing the next task. Or rushing to check off everything on my to-do list, while trying to stay connected to friends in my spare time. Just spending time with people and seeking to help them in whatever way God has gifted me to do so.

I remember when I first came to Kentucky and how a part of me regretted giving up my career to do something a little out of the box. How I've struggled to come to terms with not having extra (or any) spending money. Occasionally, I look at how I'm going to have to start over again and find a job, buy furniture, find an apartment, make friends, and start saving money again. But, I do not regret one second of my time as a volunteer. Because, ultimately what I've gained from this experience greatly outweighs anything I've given up. I hope I can pass that along to the next volunteer and hand it all over with grace and humility from what I have learned along the way.

3 comments:

Dee Dee said...

I'm so proud of you and am honored that I am a part of your life. Please remember to come and visit and that our door is always open to you. Love you Jenny! Best of luck on your next journey!

Tiffany said...

I can't believe I randomly visited your blog for the first time in a long time to see that you are leaving! I guess I always had this weird feeling that I was the tiniest bit connected to CAP through reading this. Thanks for writing and sharing your experiences with me and many others! Best wishes for wherever you are headed and to whatever you are doing :-)

Kim said...

Jenny, I just love you! That's just what I needed to read... you are so smart.

Know that I'm praying for you in this time of transition.