This week has been a tough week. I think, not only for me, but for so many of us, coming back from Christmas then New Year's and for me, my birthday....it's a bit of a let-down when all that is over. This week I had to not make excuses like, "but, it's my birthday week" when I wanted something sweet in the middle of the day or didn't feel like working out. I did pretty well at sticking to my plan and trying to get back to being healthy. But, the thing is, it's hard. As we start a new year at work, I am also having to be a part of many big decisions and changes to our programs and am often asked to contribute my opinion. This week was filled with lots of conversations and decisions. All that can be a little daunting.
Therefore, I began complaining. I complained a lot to others and even more to God: about the fact that I am still single (despite the fact that I am close to the average age for marriage), that it's too cold, that my apartment is too small, that the youth in my group were off-topic and will be difficult to lead, that I have no friends in the area, that I have nothing to do in this small town, that I'm tired, and that my spinning classes were not offered this month. And those are just the things I remember saying!
Then, today, I was reminded a few different times that it's not about me. None of it. That my life was never meant to be lived to please me or to be easy for me. That I should be thankful to our Creator for the simplest things and in that gratefulness, to learn how truly wonderful and purposeful this life can be when I'm unselfish.
So, I've been trying to write down things I am thankful for every day in a personal journal (another addition in the new year), but I also wanted to "publicly" speak thankfulness for the gifts I was just complaining about....
I am thankful TODAY for...
-the pretty snow outside and crisp air
-that I have the flexibility in this season of life to volunteer, exercise, eat, and sleep on my own schedule
-that I have a new keyboard on which to practice that I found made space for in my small-but-really-cute-and-unique apartment
-for the youth at our church and all the gifts they bring to our community and that I have the opportunity to work with them
-for my really wonderful, loyal friends here and scattered, who I can reach through phone or email and who keep me in their prayers and thoughts
-that I got to see the Lady Vols in person this week and see Coach Summitt
-that NEW fitness classes are being offered this month to provide some variety in my workouts (and for DVD's when there's no classes!)
-for this town I live in where there's no traffic or crowds, and for its progressive and artsy nature
I hope you also find a place for gratefulness in the new year.
2016- A Year in (Book) Review
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment